|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Guilty pleasures

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You know when people are watching. Don't let them rattle your cage. We struggled to get into a spot way too small for us in one of the Redwoods CGs. It was later in the afternoon & this was the best available.

Big family reunion or something going on in a site more or less opposite. You just know that we were the entertainment of the afternoon. Bullheaded as ever we got it into the site. Hopped out of the truck & shouted across to the group asking for my score.

They played right along. Some of them had bets that we would not make it.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I have never been a people watcher. I have no interest in watching strangers backing in or setting up - even if it's Oprah doing it. I may watch a friend just to keep an extra eye out for them.

I will say that people watching you do something is often enough of a distraction to cause you mistakes that you wouldn't otherwise do. So for those who enjoy watching others mess up - it's most likely your fault in the first place.

I find it somewhat entertaining. As for spectators, they don't bother me a bit.

But if you want some real entertainment, go to the boat ramp in the afternoon, when the fishermen who have been out on the water all day sipping beers return and try to load their boats.

* This post was edited 04/13/19 02:10pm by drsteve *

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were boating, this phenomena was referred to as the OARs - old anchorage residents. Simply means you got there earlier than anyone else. Tactic approval to critique the new arrival's technique.

We pulled into an empty cove one early afternoon and within an hour the Rye Harbor Yacht Club cruise arrived. A sorrier bunch of sailors I've never seen. One skipper threw out the anchor leaving the main sail up and cleated and proceeded to swim ashore. His boat took off in a gust and dragged directly toward the most pristine wooden boat in the group. The poor target had only a single small fender aboard and kept moving it to the expected point of impact. Talk about great fun people watching!

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time that I pay attention to someone backing or pulling in is if the sites are close enough for the other rig to back into mine, otherwise I could not care what they do.

navegator

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I set up the off-site RV shows for my dealer. My job is to park 50-80 trailers of all sizes with a forklift. I'm pretty darn good at putting a 40 footer exactly where I want it and getting everything perfectly lined up. But when I'm backing up and parking my own trailer at home after a camping trip, now that's another story, lol.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike brez wrote:

Beer

More beer

Facebook/The manatees of Halls river.Sam and Gail Oxford Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey, don't take away my fun. I come here to laugh at the old geezers who think they know everything and are wrong more often than they're right.

Ummm. I HOPE this is a joke. If not it's quite the insult.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Piddlers

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guilty pleasure is walking around the campground everyday for exercise and looking at the other trailers thinking, wow, that's pretty, or wow, what were they thinking, or wow, how did they bring so much stuff.

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm an old guy and have pulled trailers (not RVs) for 50 years as needed and still can't back worth ****. My camper was a series of small slide in truck camper for many years and as of last year a B so when I pull it is a 12' box trailer behind the camper rig. Since I know my limitations I have had a front hitch for tight spots on my last two trucks and I just push the trailer where I want.

I normally don't watch the backers having trouble but I do on occasion watch the good ones. My most memorable was maybe 15 years ago, I was all setup and a huge 5th wheel pulled up in front of me to back into what I thought was a very tight spot. The wife got out with a headset on and a stick and started walking around talking to her husband. They backed into that very tight space first try no maneuvering one try and stopped and with the help of the stick when they pushed out their slides they came with in a few inches of the trees. I went over and told them how impressed I was.

My wife knows not to try and help me, even for lining up the hitch, it never helps. It takes fewer tries without her hand signal instructions. I added a backup camera to the B that I can actually see the hitch.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My guilty pleasure while camping is quality bedding. Comfortable mattress and pillows. Having my own brand of coffee in the morning is another.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Guilty pleasures
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.