|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who still uses the good ol ultra reliable Coleman liquid fuel lanterns? I have a bit of a collection and use them all the time
My oldest is from the 20's

Proud father of a US Marine

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do almost every trip. Brings back memories of camping as a child.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Always and they still sell them. I have an oldie and one that is a year old. The year old one fits in a plastic case that stores in the closet. I prefer a presurized mantle lantern over the LED junk.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have a couple of them around - They sure are too bright to use a campgrounds however... Always brings in a crowd asking what the bright light is all about haha...

I use them mostly when camping off grid including tent camping... I also have a couple of those hanging lanterns that I like to hang in a tree on both ends of the camp site. These get turned down real low and burn all night... They will cast a shadow on the tent when things go past them...

Now they have come out with the pull out hanging lanterns that are battery powered that runs all night...
[image]
google image

Roy Ken
[image]

Redcatcher70

Beebe, AR

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a couple from the Seventies. Hardly use them anymore since we gave up camping, but keep them serviceable in case of power outage. Also have a 2 burner and 3 burner gas stove and an old foldable stovetop oven to use on the stoves. Keeping them all for the grandkids......

Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do. better base than propane ones, brighter light, and longer run time than propane.

One for the trailer, one we use in the backyard around the firepit.

I even have dozens of the old style mantles with thorium which burn brighter than the newer mantles. Thorium emits alpha particles, so while radioactive paper or the lantern glass stops them, not really an issue IMHO.

Rather than the clear glass globes, I found pyrex frosted glass coleman globes for mine. Much better light source for us.

I also have a couple of dark red globes. Good when using a telescope or wanting a more subdued light.

I have an old coleman white gas stove as well. It doesn' get used much anymore since most of our cooking is grilling over an open fire or charcoal.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an old dual mantle Coleman white gas lantern. Haven't used it in years.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

I still have a couple of them around - They sure are too bright to use a campgrounds however... Always brings in a crowd asking what the bright light is all about haha...

I use them mostly when camping off grid including tent camping... I also have a couple of those hanging lanterns that I like to hang in a tree on both ends of the camp site. These get turned down real low and burn all night... They will cast a shadow on the tent when things go past them...

Now they have come out with the pull out hanging lanterns that are battery powered that runs all night...
[image]
google image

Roy Ken
[image]

Never had an issue with my pressurized gas lantern, easy to turn down to just a glow (turn the knob) and runs all night no issue. In fact will run all day and all night if I forget to turn it off.

A gallon of coleman fuel is a lot cheaper than a bunch of batteries that when shot, take up landfill space. The new ones run on coleman fuel or unleaded pump gas as well.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ktmrfs wrote:

We do. better base than propane ones, brighter light, and longer run time than propane.

One for the trailer, one we use in the backyard around the firepit.

I even have dozens of the old style mantles with thorium which burn brighter than the newer mantles. Thorium emits alpha particles, so while radioactive paper or the lantern glass stops them, not really an issue IMHO.

Rather than the clear glass globes, I found pyrex frosted glass coleman globes for mine. Much better light source for us.

I also have a couple of dark red globes. Good when using a telescope or wanting a more subdued light.

I have an old coleman white gas stove as well. It doesn' get used much anymore since most of our cooking is grilling over an open fire or charcoal.

My kind of camper. I despise propane cooked anything. Don't like the aftertaste. Methyl Mercaptan (the odorant) in propane leaves an aftertaste in food. Give me a good hardwood fire and a grill on the coals and I'm happy. Just like my coleman lantern, old school.

I use mine with the yellow globe when fishing too. No bugs.

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

[image]
google image

Roy Ken
[image]

One of my favorite things about them is that you can turn them down to just a glow or crank them up and see well enough to do most anything. I’ll keep mine turned way down when sitting by the fire and can crank it up if a nosy coon or skunk decides to visit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS