|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

+9 on the Coleman. Little backpacking one. And a dual fuel backpack stove for the small cooking chores. Trying to keep a little "camp" in camper ing.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never have liked them, way too bright for my tastes. I always felt like I was staying under one of those sodium vapor lights. I like the old kerosene lanterns. A nice soft glow, without blinding you.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Fizz

Ottawa, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep both the lantern and stove in good working order. We never need them but keep them handy. Solid, dependable is what you need in an emergency.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We carry a lantern and a stove at all times. The stove is my choice for cooking supper because the smells stay outdoors. At every campsite we get visitors stating that they haven't seen anyone use one in years. I actually have about 6 Coleman stoves all in working order. I pick them up at garage sales for about $2 and they usually have a gallon of fuel with them. I also have about 6 working Coleman lanterns. My favorites are a small one burner that is adjustable and a dual mantel that is adjustable. When I go deer hunting, I take 3 lanterns with me for the picnic shelter with sides and a wood stove. I don't mind bringing the stoves and lanterns because someone else always brings the fuel and I get to keep the leftover gas.

Bob & Dawn Married 30 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have friends that love them and their Coleman Stove too. I'm not so sure about the whole pressurizing gasoline theory that they work using. But, I've never heard of one blowing up. And, I fill up at gas stations without shutting off my propane fridge so I live life on the wild side anyway. lol

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SidecarFlip wrote:

RoyB wrote:

I still have a couple of them around - They sure are too bright to use a campgrounds however... Always brings in a crowd asking what the bright light is all about haha...

I use them mostly when camping off grid including tent camping... I also have a couple of those hanging lanterns that I like to hang in a tree on both ends of the camp site. These get turned down real low and burn all night... They will cast a shadow on the tent when things go past them...

Now they have come out with the pull out hanging lanterns that are battery powered that runs all night...
[image]
google image

Roy Ken
[image]

Never had an issue with my pressurized gas lantern, easy to turn down to just a glow (turn the knob) and runs all night no issue. In fact will run all day and all night if I forget to turn it off.

A gallon of coleman fuel is a lot cheaper than a bunch of batteries that when shot, take up landfill space. The new ones run on coleman fuel or unleaded pump gas as well.

A good used single mantle 200A will burn reg unleaded pump gas in a pinch, Just have to clean the generator tip more often. [emoticon]

Proud father of a US Marine

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have a single mantle, liquid gas type Coleman that is no longer serviceable but I still keep it.

For ambient CG light I use a much older style kerosene/tiki fuel type lantern. It seems to discourage the bugs. The LEDs & propane lanterns attract bugs along with lighting up the entire state.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh yes!

I have a 2 mantle lantern and a 3 burner gas burner, both Coleman, that I bought in 1977 at Montgomery Wards.

I think the pump, or pump gaskets, may be shot. Any tips or advice to repair or replace?

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/13/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

Oh yes!

I have a 2 mantle lantern and a 3 burner gas burner, both Coleman, that I bought in 1977 at Montgomery Wards.

I think the pump, or pump gaskets, may be shot. Any tips or advice to repair or replace?

Amazon. Coleman pump repair kit.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one and a Lantern stand. I do not use it at this time but I did a few year ago ... The reason I don't use it so much is I'm more an "Indoor" type even though I like the outdoors.. Hoping to team up with another RVer this summer and may have to break it out more often..

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS