|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Big Katuna wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

Oh yes!

I have a 2 mantle lantern and a 3 burner gas burner, both Coleman, that I bought in 1977 at Montgomery Wards.

I think the pump, or pump gaskets, may be shot. Any tips or advice to repair or replace?

Amazon. Coleman pump repair kit.

If the pump cup is made of leather, you can soak it in lightweight oil 3in 1 or reg motor oil and made the leather supple again, and the pump will work again

Proud father of a US Marine

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

Big Katuna wrote:

OkieGene wrote:

Oh yes!

I have a 2 mantle lantern and a 3 burner gas burner, both Coleman, that I bought in 1977 at Montgomery Wards.

I think the pump, or pump gaskets, may be shot. Any tips or advice to repair or replace?

Amazon. Coleman pump repair kit.

If the pump cup is made of leather, you can soak it in lightweight oil 3in 1 or reg motor oil and made the leather supple again, and the pump will work again

Needsfoot oil works best for that.

I have a collection (wrong, it is an accumulation) of old red single mantles. Both High top and low top. I like the single mantles as there are only half as many mantles to replace.
All have installed lighters and half have a safe on the bottom.
We also have a two burner stove that has cooked so many memories that I could not sell it to a collector that offered my money for it. I did guaranty him right of first refusal.
I say it is an accumulation because a collector collects to have special models and numbers. Mine were just got a garage sales and one was because I forgot that I had three.

I keep them because they work when the electric lights go out. You can keep a can of fuel almost indefinitely, but but batteries have a shelf life.

Mattt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/13/19 06:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still have a single mantle white gas Coleman but don't use it.

When I was a kid in the 50s & 60s, my parents had a cabin with no electricity and no telephone, running water and a stinky outhouse. Heat and cooking was a wood & coal stove. The municipality came by every year and oiled the gravel road. A totally different era.

In the earlier days, dad used kerosene lanterns. Not that bright, they smelled (I liked that tho.) and they emitted smoke if turned down low. Then dad got a couple of Coleman lanterns that used white gas. Things got a lot brighter after that! Played many many hours of checkers and cards under a Coleman lantern. I miss the hiss they made.

At some point in the 60s they brought power down our road and dad had a electrical service installed. No more lanterns after that. Last time I was up there, there's now residential subdivisions where there was just forest or summer cabins. Progress sucks. [emoticon]

I hate CAPTCHA. CAPTCHA sux. CAPTCHA is evil. CAPTCHA needs fixing.

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2009 F250 super duty, V10, 8' bed, Hawkshead TPMS

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This is a lone ago favorite pic of mine, My son with a Maine Lobstah, my 50 year old ashflash Lantern and Coleman Stove with American flag in background. Now this is what camping is all about! [emoticon]

Ashflash Lantern and Coleman Stove still going strong!

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I keep my lantern and stove in the MH. I use the stove every trip but I find the mantles on the lantern crumble during travel so I rarely use it any more. I still have leather cups and other parts from a WW2 lantern I had. The stove requires a lot of maintenance lantern not as much.

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

still have a 2 burner coleman in the motorhome, as well as have two lanterns one was made in 1946, and still use it as well as the newer one.. cheeper to run than the propane canasters.. less waste, i also have a propane adapter to run a 20lb bottle in the naptha stove. The leather pump they sell separate, should be lubed with Neats Foot oil, good sporting goods shop for baseball mitts leather to keep it soft

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

I keep my lantern and stove in the MH. I use the stove every trip but I find the mantles on the lantern crumble during travel so I rarely use it any more. I still have leather cups and other parts from a WW2 lantern I had. The stove requires a lot of maintenance lantern not as much.

You can try something that has worked for me, after I use the lantern and it has cooled off I spray the mantles with hairspray. It works to make them a bit less susceptible to movements and a bit more sturdy

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This, except with me it was 60's and 70's, and we cooked on 3 Burner Coleman Stoves in addition to using Coleman Laterns. Dad was pretty good a rebuilding them every couple years as required.

myredracer wrote:

Still have a single mantle white gas Coleman but don't use it.

When I was a kid in the 50s & 60s, my parents had a cabin with no electricity and no telephone, running water and a stinky outhouse. Heat and cooking was a wood & coal stove. The municipality came by every year and oiled the gravel road. A totally different era.

In the earlier days, dad used kerosene lanterns. Not that bright, they smelled (I liked that tho.) and they emitted smoke if turned down low. Then dad got a couple of Coleman lanterns that used white gas. Things got a lot brighter after that! Played many many hours of checkers and cards under a Coleman lantern. I miss the hiss they made.

At some point in the 60s they brought power down our road and dad had a electrical service installed. No more lanterns after that. Last time I was up there, there's now residential subdivisions where there was just forest or summer cabins. Progress sucks. [emoticon]

2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Campinghoss@51

Windsor NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/19 04:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not used my Coleman stove in a long time but I use my double mantle lantern when I surf fish. Very dependable and I always keep a ample supply of silk mantles on hand.

Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucky & Lucie

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still have my stove and lantern(s), but now use them very little. Space in my 'Trek is at a premium, so moved to smaller outdoor gear.

2001 RoadTrek 190

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS