|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

Gjac wrote:

I keep my lantern and stove in the MH. I use the stove every trip but I find the mantles on the lantern crumble during travel so I rarely use it any more. I still have leather cups and other parts from a WW2 lantern I had. The stove requires a lot of maintenance lantern not as much.

You can try something that has worked for me, after I use the lantern and it has cooled off I spray the mantles with hairspray. It works to make them a bit less susceptible to movements and a bit more sturdy
I would never have thought of that, I will have to try that one. I store my lantern in the basement storage area in the rear right next to the rear tires, and the pot holes and frost heaves in the NE causes a lot of vibration.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Light pollution is an issue in public campgrounds in the summer. The old Coleman's are good for task lighting like reading or skinning a deer, but they are too bright for regular use. Some groups have one or two of them going all the time. Every kid has a flashlight. Some have laser lights in the trees. One guy kept turning on his bright headlights aimed right at my camp fire. It is too much. Keep enough light so you can see.

When fires are legal, I use the firelight to see. I set up a canopy frame and use old canvas tipi liners to block the wind and reflect the light. A couple of cheap solar lights can help people avoid tripping at night.

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have three lanterns. One, a new wazoo 4-D cell LED one that's pretty good and also somewhat versital in that it can sit or hang. The second one we have is a somewhat modern Coleman one that still uses mantles and it has a clear globe. It works too, very nice. as for those that claim they're too bright, THAT'S WHAT THE CONTROL IS FOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You can turn them down to a low glow!

Then, the third one we have is from what we can determine, a 1925 version. The mechanism inside the globe is ancient and has a cleaning rod that you rotate a small handle and it moves up into an orifice to clean out the burn tube. And, get this, the air pump, is separate from the tank. Yep, that little air pump is attached via a chain and is like a little syringe with a nipple on the end.

When we first light that thing off, sometimes we're afraid the neighbors are gonna call in an FD first alarm. It flames and goes nuts for about 30 seconds or so. Then, all that heat from the flames, heats of the main burn tube inside the globe and that heat, begins to generate the gas that's needed for a cleaner burn and what creates the light from it. It's a cool little lantern.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

ZINGERLITE

Union Lake

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Grandpa gave my his old lantern and stove this last fall. I'm pretty excited about it still. Camping smells and sounds that i never want to disappear!

2manytoyz

Central FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a couple of Coleman liquid fuel lanterns for many years, but they weren't as reliable as the propane ones that replaced them. Even when I was trying to take a pic to compare the light output, the Coleman fuel one just wouldn't cooperate.

[image]

As time went on, I moved from corded power tools, to cordless ones.

[image]

The 18V Dewalt fluorescent worklight is great. It has a cover over the bulb to protect it, and direct the light. If I need 360 lighting, the cover slides off. Stays cool to the touch, no worries of it falling over and starting a fire.

[image]

It will run about 3.5 hours per battery. I always bring spare batteries, and the charger. I prefer to do this, rather than haul liquid fuel, or even 1 lb. propane bottles.

I still have two propane lanterns, and I keep them around for extended power outages at home since we live in hurricane prone FL.

Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2015 Forest River Georgetown 328TS
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 08:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2manytoyz wrote:

I had a couple of Coleman liquid fuel lanterns for many years, but they weren't as reliable as the propane ones that replaced them. Even when I was trying to take a pic to compare the light output, the Coleman fuel one just wouldn't cooperate.

[image]

As time went on, I moved from corded power tools, to cordless ones.

[image]

The 18V Dewalt fluorescent worklight is great. It has a cover over the bulb to protect it, and direct the light. If I need 360 lighting, the cover slides off. Stays cool to the touch, no worries of it falling over and starting a fire.

[image]

It will run about 3.5 hours per battery. I always bring spare batteries, and the charger. I prefer to do this, rather than haul liquid fuel, or even 1 lb. propane bottles.

I still have two propane lanterns, and I keep them around for extended power outages at home since we live in hurricane prone FL.

I bet by now that they have LED Dewalt lights that would be even more efficient, and more reliable, then your fluorescent.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This past week [emoticon]

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors. "Towing with 180K"

State & Provinces we have camped

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mdcamping wrote:

[image]

This past week [emoticon]

Mike
Nice campsite Mike, where was the picture taken?

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/20/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is not even dark yet and the Coleman is going along with an outdoor porch light and the party lights. That's why I like boondocking in one image.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/20/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Gary, this is at Nickerson Park Campground. Chaplin, CT. Our riverside site is on the Natchaug River which has been our yearly trout fishing trip!

Mike

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Coleman lantern
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS