RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Gun or Tears -- HELP PLZ!!!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gun or Tears -- HELP PLZ!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder how Wallyworld tested dead batteries that were frozen at one time. Completely charge the batteries and take them elsewhere for a proper testing.

katysdad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Replace the batteries. Gas detectors will false alarm without proper steady voltage. It was not uncommon to hear them beeping in trailers on our lot that were in for service and the batteries were not fully charged. just always err on the fact of a leak first then check the batts.

Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Diesel

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree, the batteries are most likely shot, no matter how they test.
Normal 12 volt wiring is red = positive, black = negative. Lots of rvs use black = positive, white = negative. That can cause a lot of confusion. Maybe you did that?

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
1992 S&S 11.5 TC

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jake2250 wrote:

Well...... First off,, If you take it back to the dealer to fix it.Play dumb, don't say a word on what you did, just tell the it doesn't work and You have no idea what to do, please fix this!
When they ask you what happened, tell them you did exactly what the salesman showed you and it didn't work!
Sounds like you figured out your mistake, and its way to late,, But,, its under warranty, so let it be what it is!

Except I have half of two terminals on one battery missing....

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

maddog348 wrote:

I have no answers but WELCOME to the forum. Stay calm. A new RV is a lot to learn.

Hang in there ~ One new thing atta time ~~ Good Luck

Thanks.

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear of your frustration but it does make for an entertaining adventure, which a decent sense of humor will have you telling on yourself one day after you get it all sorted out.

Although your batteries tested ok, lead acid batteries do not like being drained completely dead and they especially don’t like being frozen, so they are likely going to have a much shorter life than normal. Their newness saved you in the short run.

There is a small and inexpensive tool you will find very useful in the future for dealing with electrical issues. That is a volt-ohmmeter. All you really need is a cheap one in the $5-$10 range, although the more expensive $40-$50 ones are more capable. You can use it to test for all kinds of electrical problems ranging from which lead is positive and which negative to is there power here to whether the shore power is useable (voltage 110-130). In the sparking case, it could have helped show you you were connecting the right wires to the right terminals. You might seek out a teenage science nerd to show you how to use it.

Your new TH is a new adventure, and does come with guaranteed adventures in riding the learning curve. We’ve all been there.

I have one of those I've used to dx a problem on a water heater, I didn't find anywhere that I could use it on the RV batteries. I went and bought a fancy one like peep had mentioned, hooked it up and it was useless, so that got returned. LOL.

True, I'll be laughing about all this in a few years, but last night all I wanted was to R&R in the camper with the pups.

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The CORRECT name for the Propane detector is "Explosive Gas Detector"

Propane. Methane. Butane. Hydrogen. Alcohol. Gasoline Any vapor that goes BOOM.

One word of warning.
Just read the story of a man who bumped a knob on his stove And when he figured it out he turned every knob. INCLUDING THE ONE THAT MAKES A SPARK.. Only damage was temp hearing loss and the hair on his arm.

Last summer... Same story.. Only it was the hair on his legs.
IF YOU or the detector SMELL explosive gas DO NOT TOUCH THAT KNOB.

Hahaha...I'm sure this won't be the end of my stories. The RV dealer did tell me of a time when a guy winterized his RV with car antifreeze (note to self: don't do that).

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ken56 wrote:

If those batteries froze solid and the sides are bulged even slightly replace them. The plates suffered damage and failure is in their future....at the most inopportune time. Plugging into shore power should provide 12volt power through the converter so the battery should not be necessary to be hooked up at the same time.

Your only complaint was the CO detector, but everything else worked correctly? Furnace being the important thing in the cold weather. If that is the case then everything indicates the fault is at the batteries. To remove batteries disconnect the NEG first, to reconnect connect the NEG LAST.

Yes, everything else was working fine. No bulging on the sides.

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

I wonder how Wallyworld tested dead batteries that were frozen at one time. Completely charge the batteries and take them elsewhere for a proper testing.

LOL they are no longer frozen and they were partly charged when I took them in. Wallyworld gave me print outs:

battery #1
V: 11.96
Measured: 815 MCA
Rated: 550 MCA
Temp: 59F

battery #2
V: 12.16
Measured: 780 MCA
Rated: 550 MCA
Temp: 60F

I say they had frozen b/c peep on another forum said that having been connected up for three months and left out side, they would definitely have discharged and frozen, so I assumed that was the case.

saffikeagan

Montrose, CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, final verdict is to dump the batteries, get new ones, laugh, and move on. Okay. I think the money is, at this point, worth the headache of continuing to try and sort out these batteries (with one missing two sections of two terminals).

Thanks all!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Gun or Tears -- HELP PLZ!!!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS