|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Short trip opinion

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few rv rentals will deliver the trailer to the cg and set it up, then come get it afterward. That way you can roll in on Friday night and just get inside the trailer. For a weekend rental, this is about as easy as it gets.

Frankly, if money is tight, I would suggest scratching the camping itch with a tent for a few outings until you can afford to buy an rv. Trailer rentals are too pricey for me. For the cost of one rental you probably can buy a tent, cots, sleeping bags, single burner butane stove, and a lantern that all will be yours to keep at the end of the trip. No climate control or indoor plumbing, but it gets you out there for a weekend adventure.

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)
Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally, for a one night trip, we usually check into a motel. By not taking the trailer we will save enough gas if travelling 3 or more hours to offset the cost, and the trip is just much easier.
But when we have the time to enjoy a destination we do much prefer the trailer.

Even when we go to fulltiming , we plan on making as many of our stops as possible 2 night minimum stays.

TheBar

MS

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are not experienced backing a trailer it can be stressful and embarrassing. I've owned several trailers and I'm good at backing them up but I spent a lot of time in a big empty parking lot getting the experience. Also make sure a gas station or restaurant has a big enough parking lot. If you are towing a 30' trailer with a 20' truck you can get in big trouble with your combined 50' length.

Retired factory automation computer programmer
Cabin fever solution: 30' Class C
DW loves it more than I do

6door74

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Seems like most people agree that it's too short. to answer a few points people made....

1. Good idea about just camping at home to get a feel for it. I may have to look into that.

2. The tent is a no go. We're not that hard core as far as outdoor lifestyle. We fall into that glamping category.

3. We would be renting from an individual and probably picking it the day before just to better manage our time. Go right from my wife getting out of work friday to the campground or pick up friday and then arrive saturday as early as possible. The latter seems completely out of the question after reading the replies and giving it some thought.

4. I thought about a motorhome being a good solution too. However i figured getting travel trailer would be practice for our eventual purchase.

5. We would choose a fairly close campground for anything less than a week. No sense is wasting time driving far.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll wait till my wife can get some time from work and do a thurs-mon. Our long vacation is already set so that ate up her time and it's a new job. On a side note...i'm finding the 6 people to a campground limit frustrating. Is that more so a RV park rule and not something you'd see at a more primitive campground? I'd like to have nieces and nephews join us.

2006 E350 V10
Travel Trailer-TBD

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mtn in the GREAT SW Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

6door74 wrote:

On a side note...i'm finding the 6 people to a campground limit frustrating. Is that more so a RV park rule and not something you'd see at a more primitive campground? I'd like to have nieces and nephews join us.

The 6 person per campsite is so you won't have Andy and his girlfriend and their friend Fred and his boyfriend, Alfred and their 3 other friends and 4 dogs coming into the campground to camp. Then, about 8 pm, 6 other friends pile out of a junker truck with 4 cases of beer and having an all-out party that starts Friday night and ends with them laying around the campfire until Sunday. If you are a mom/dad, uncle/aunt, whatever and have 4-5 kids, most state parks won't be concerned. If you are in a private resort, you will probably have to pay for more than 2 people, not even 6.

I know in Virginia, the rules state that a maximum of 6 people UNLESS it is a family unit. (We camp host and there is a family that comes to camp at our park that has 11 kids. Yes, 13 of them. They camp in one spot in a 28' bunkhouse TT. I don't know where they all fit, but they do and they are the most gracious, considerate kids I have ever been around.)

This is just my opinion, but I would not take nieces and nephews until you figure out what you are doing and how to set up and take down. It's still hard for us to set up when they have friends with them and are excited to camp with us and we have been doing this for 20+ years/

2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

FF286

SE Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a campground close enough to work stay there all week and go to work from the camper
You mentioned getting to the campground late Friday because of waiting on your wife to get off work. Again if you stay somewhat close you can go early Friday and set up In the daylight and she could meet you at the campground after work. I have had a camper for around 10 years now and still try not to setup after dark if possible.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to buy a trailer, then I would rent one rather than a motorhome. While they both result in camping, they have different positives and negatives and you should get a feel for what you will get.

A four night weekend would be great. You would have three full days to enjoy the camping. Even a three night weekend will give you two full days. That's enough to get a feel for how much you will enjoy it.

I agree about waiting on the nieces and nephews until you have a better handle on dealing with the trailer. I would wait until you buy, then do a couple solo trips with just you two so you can work out the little things. Then start bringing the kids along.

Most "6 people per campsite" rules at public parks will allow an exception for a single family unit. That means parents and kids. Not parents, aunts, uncles and kids. Depending on how many nieces and nephews you want to take and their ages, it may or may not be allowed. The two of you and five kids under twelve maybe one or two older - probably OK. The two of you and eight older teens - probably not. A ranger may likely question on the latter because it looks like it could potentially be a party situation or at least not a family unit. The former will likely be unnoticed unless the kids are causing trouble around the campground.

Partying is a big concern but also overcrowding of the campground. If there are 20 sites and every one has the max 6 people in it, that's at most 120 people that campground has to handle. Now put 10-15 people in each campsite and you are talking two to three hundred. The campground bathrooms and water (some areas have limited water because it's trucked in) can't handle that much. And many folks would try to cram 2 to 4 families into one site to save on the nightly fees, so that overcrowding is very possible without these limits.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be sure to factor in the cost of renting a trailer. Trailer rental is kind of expensive but worthwhile if it allows you to do a test run and decide if you want to make a full commitment.
Do not have it set up for you on site. I think you want the full experience which includes towing and hitching.
Due to cost, I think 2 full days or a 3 day weekend is enough time to have a decent experience and get the idea. Renting for a full week is excessive if your just looking to do a trial run.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/14/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a purely training experience...it's OK but make sure you both keep that in mind as you won't get a good feel for it.

As you said 4 days would at least give you a couple days to relax and enjoy the experience...a week would be better.

Then you have cost...a $600 rental could be a substantial percentage of buying a small used trailer...not unusual to find a 18-25' trailer for under $5k that is quite usable condition.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

6door74

Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To address a few of the latest replies....

1. I wasn't necessarily talking about bringing nieces and nephews on this 1st trip, just in general. Depending on when we get to do it, I wouldn't be worried about having them though. They're 10-12 so not babies i need to cater to. they'd be right there helping with whatever we're doing to set up.

2. I definitely wouldn't want it delivered. Towing the trailer, backing it up, getting weights, and seeing how well it all tows on the road is absolutely necessary to the learning process.

3. The cost of the trailer and site rental does add up. I don't see myself renting both for a long time but either way, doing it once or twice a year isn't too bad. 4 days seems to be the sweet spot going this route and there's some good rv parks less than 4 hours away in all directions.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Short trip opinion
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS