|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> DC inline fuse blows when battery power turned on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/14/19 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignore wire color, there are too many "standards," and none of them are standard. Trace BOTH wires from the battery. ONE of them should go to the frame. THAT is the negative cable.

I have never, ever, seen a negative cable with a fuse or circuit breaker on it. I would bet money that the cable withOUT the fuse or circuit breaker is your negative cable.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bobbo wrote:

Ignore wire color, there are too many "standards," and none of them are standard. Trace BOTH wires from the battery. ONE of them should go to the frame. THAT is the negative cable.

I have never, ever, seen a negative cable with a fuse or circuit breaker on it. I would bet money that the cable withOUT the fuse or circuit breaker is your negative cable.

Best advice I've seen in this thread. I do not trust colors in RV's cause they are wired by ELECTRICIANS not AUTOMOTIVE technicians or Electronic Technicians (I'm cross trained so I know both Traditions but THERE IS NO STANDARD!!!)

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/19 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Best advice I've seen in this thread. I do not trust colors in RV's cause they are wired by ELECTRICIANS not AUTOMOTIVE technicians or Electronic Technicians (I'm cross trained so I know both Traditions but THERE IS NO STANDARD!!!)

I agree except that they are wired by folks that have no electricity in their own homes. [emoticon]

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 LOL

jkwilson

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/15/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

wa8yxm wrote:

I agree except that they are wired by folks that have no electricity in their own homes. [emoticon]

Most of them do have electricity at home, and it is more similar to RV wiring than conventional wiring. 12V systems with solar or wind are very common among the Amish. I installed or helped with several systems based on cheap automotive headlight bulbs before LEDs became an option. They did a good job wiring, but didn’t get the idea about voltage drop so tended to overload circuits and get dim lights.

John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

DSteiner51

Wooster, Oh

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/15/19 05:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You hooked the battery up wrong and blew the reverse polarity fuses on the converter thus no power from the converter. Most likely did damage to other appliances too. You are lucky if you didn’t blow the furnace, water heater, and refrigerator circuit boards too.

D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> DC inline fuse blows when battery power turned on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS