RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Surge protector...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Surge protector...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kennyd63 wrote:

Yes that's the one...

So that's just a simple surge protector that will do nothing to protect your rig from any other campground power source anomalies. Do yourself a favour and invest in an EMS w/surge protection, the most popular and most recommended one here on the forums being the EMS-PT30X.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surge protector means transient high voltage spikes protection (i.e. generally just pure surge protection). Some units also include the basic 3 light household circuit detection. This device does not protect against low voltage, open grounds, etc. that can occur after the initial plugin check.

Note: The term “surge protection” is sometimes used to imply EMS protection devices described below.

A Power Protector or Energy Management System (EMS) is designed to continuously monitor the power and shut down (or never allow initial power) to the rig when a fault is detected including power surges. Faults also include miswired pedestal, pedestal changes like open ground, high/low voltage and high/low frequency.

EMS units are more expensive but they disconnect the power to the RV when required. Low voltage is the most likely cause for a disconnect which will then protect AC motors (especially A/C motors) and other devices.

The Progressive Industries units are excellent and I like the hard-wired unit with a remote which I have mounted inside the RV. Click

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another recommendation for the PI hardwired unit. I like the remote display.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, don't waste time and $$ on that! Spend the extra $$ and get a Progressive Industries EMS that will automatically protect against various electrical issues and is excellent quality. We have the hardwired version - always there, always protecting us (and it has a number of times).

The joule rating of 1050 isn't all that great and they don't tell you what the peak surge current rating is. A PI EMS (the most recommended "EMS") is rated 44,000 amps and 1800 joules.

It's not UL listed either so what's inside is unknown quality. If it's anything like Chinabomb tire quality, it could explode at any time, lol... [emoticon]

I hate CAPTCHA. It just will not go away...

Gil, Deb & Dougal the Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 03:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

Yup, don't waste time and $$ on that! Spend the extra $$ and get a Progressive Industries EMS that will automatically protect against various electrical issues and is excellent quality. We have the hardwired version - always there, always protecting us (and it has a number of times).

The joule rating of 1050 isn't all that great and they don't tell you what the peak surge current rating is. A PI EMS (the most recommended "EMS") is rated 44,000 amps and 1800 joules.

It's not UL listed either so what's inside is unknown quality. If it's anything like Chinabomb tire quality, it could explode at any time, lol... [emoticon]

^^this. Not UL (or CSA) rated would be a killer for me.

I've got a Progressive one. It's gone off more than once for low power and probably saved me a big expense.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 04:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

has anybody mentioned yet that it should have a restart delay to go easy on motor, etc.?
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Surge protector...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS