|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch longevity

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/16/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My B&W gets a few shots of basic "chassis lube" grease on the large pivot bolt and a few shots on the head of each side piece once or twice a season. Put 3-4 shots on the back side of the king pin and just let it work its way around. Sure wish they'd come up with a "lube tube" for king pins; d@mn grease gets messy. [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/16/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 20000lb Reese is 22 years old and still works fine. I lube the jaw faces and trailer pin 2-3 times a year. I take the head apart every other year and clean and lube all parts. I only use wheel bearing grease. The 2 springs were replaced at 10 years old. I have no plans to replace the hitch anytime soon. We travel from April to November from our home base, usually 5-6000 miles on average per year to many destinations.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 04:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

Veebyes wrote:

Actually yes, you are correct. WD40 is fish oil based. Has no real staying ability. My usual goto product is something called Boeshield. Been using it on my boats for years. Developed for Boeing, it becomes a waxy substance after a few hours. Another product, LPS 3 is somewhat similar.

None of those are a good lubricant for your hitch. Good corrosion preventatives, but not much lubricant value.

I always hear people talk about using WD40 and that's followed by those who will bash it. That's because people think of WD40 as the original formula in the blue/yellow can. However, in the last 10-15 years (or so), WD40 has come out with several alternative formulas, some of which are actually true lubricants. So these days, it's necessary for someone to specify which WD40 product they're actually using before the bashing can begin :-)

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is the WD40 product that I use on my 6 point jack pistons - Silicone WD40

I have had a small leak twice... sprayed this on, ran them up and down a couple of times.. and its all better..

WD-40 is NOT only a water displacer like a lot of people think.... They have evolved along the years with a lot of different products.

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020Redwood 3991RD Garnet

jrs1871

Kansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had an RBW hitch that we bought in 1993 when we bought our first fifth wheel. We used that hitch through 3 fifth wheels (all of comparable weight and within weight ratings) until 2018 when we switched to an Anderson Ultimate.
Like others said, routine inspection and lubrication go a long way to prolonging the life of a good hitch. There was actually nothing wrong with the RBW when we replaced it. It just took two men and a boy (slight exaggeration)whenever we need to remove it so we had full use of the bed. We have been very pleased with the Anderson and have over 10,000 miles on it so far.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I don't know if my choices of lubricants are right or wrong but I use Blaster White Lithium Grease on the jaws and pivot points before each use and I have a grease zerk fitting on the underside of my B&W that gets some Red N Tacky grease once a season. On the pin I use a Lube Plate. It keeps things from getting messy because I don't have to grease the plate itself

Overkill on the pivot points and under kill on the supporting shaft with the grease ZERK.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Sure wish they'd come up with a "lube tube" for king pins; d@mn grease gets messy."

Not sure what you mean?

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get in the habit of using grease. You could replace you hitch balls if they have been used a lot without grease. If you are really careful you could weld on a new coupler.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/17/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"Sure wish they'd come up with a "lube tube" for king pins; d@mn grease gets messy."

Not sure what you mean?

OK. You can buy a "lube plate" for the pin box to rest on on top of the hitch head. I'd like to see a teflon tube that would wrap the king pin itself, to "lube" it in he hitch jaws. Impractical, though, as it'd have to be so thin it'd likely wear out after only a couple thousand miles.

Lyle

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not sure what you mean?

OK. You can buy a "lube plate" for the pin box to rest on on top of the hitch head. I'd like to see a teflon tube that would wrap the king pin itself, to "lube" it in he hitch jaws. Impractical, though, as it'd have to be so thin it'd likely wear out after only a couple thousand miles.

Lyle

Got it!

I have a 1/8" lube plate from Hensley that works well with the B&W. It stays on the bottom of the pin box plate and is snug to the kingpins shoulder so it does not fall off.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Hitch longevity
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS