|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Caulking

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be careful with etarnabond, as a percaution I’d used it around the perimeter of the bath skylite thinking I’ll now never have a worry about a leak there ever - NOT So!!... A couple years later I noticed water leaking in around the skylite, but assumed the intrusion must have came from some other nearby area and not the skylite...Turned out that my assumption was very wrong and water being shed down from the skylite would hit the surrounding eternabond edge like a dam and then leak thru to the ceiling...A bead of caulking around the inside eternabond surround (where it meets the skylite) stopped the leak for good...

work2much

Jackson Ca

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 04:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

Be careful with etarnabond, as a percaution I’d used it around the perimeter of the bath skylite thinking I’ll now never have a worry about a leak there ever - NOT So!!... A couple years later I noticed water leaking in around the skylite, but assumed the intrusion must have came from some other nearby area and not the skylite...Turned out that my assumption was very wrong and water being shed down from the skylite would hit the surrounding eternabond edge like a dam and then leak thru to the ceiling...A bead of caulking around the inside eternabond surround (where it meets the skylite) stopped the leak for good...

True, in fact I have used eternabond to make roof crickets. You defiantly have to account for how it affects drainage/traps water.

2017 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.
2018 Host Mammoth. 1080 Watts solar. 600 AH usable LFP battery. Magnum 2800 Watt inverter.
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited toad.

mi.drew

Greenbush, Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/17/19 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had good luck using Lexel.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot uses silicone on there campers so It can't be all that bad as the net has proclaimed...

I used the very stuff(Gorilla) the op pictured in his post on my TC just before the storms hit this last year and they were bad..Snow/rain/hail and very deep snow on the roof at one point.To say I was worried about a leak is an understatement but NOTTA anywhere..But I did go through two vent covers..

Due to things beyond my control I was unable to keep my TC covered this winter.

'94 Ford F-350 DRW/460 EFI(91K miles)/Lance 9.6/Happijac's/Helwig SB/Reese solid bar extension/Firestone bags and siped AT3's.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure Bigfoot isn't using off the shelf silicone from Home Depot.

Here's the deal: Household silicone is designed for use on houses that don't move. Dicor and similar products are designed for houses that DO move.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

I'm sure Bigfoot isn't using off the shelf silicone from Home Depot.

Here's the deal: Household silicone is designed for use on houses that don't move. Dicor and similar products are designed for houses that DO move.

In The 10 Best RV Caulk Reviews & Buying Guide 2019 Gorilla silicone is rated #7 above Etherbond with Dicor as #1..

I mentioned this because the op of this thread linked and pictured just this silicone(Gorilla)...I am trying it and so far it is more than I expected after a very harsh winter here.

30 minute dry time and it can be painted over..

Quote:

The translucent clear sealant is best to use for sealing cracks and gaps on many surfaces. You can use it for doors, windows, auto, gutters and bath, to name some. It is also waterproof that it can be applied outdoors or indoors.

The sealant does not also shrink or turn yellowish. You can also have peace of mind that it won’t stain the surface to which it is applied. It is also UV resistant that it can last long even with continuous exposure to the changing weathers and outdoor elements.

Aside from the mentioned applications, this product also works well in plumbing and gutters. You also don’t have to worry that it won’t adhere well because it is especially formulated for many types of surfaces. It can also be applied on a damp and slightly oily surface.

Another great thing that I love about this product is that it can be water ready in 30 minutes. That said you could also apply paint on top of it without any worries because it quickly sticks to the surface and dries.

The sealant is also waterproof, so you can look forward to a leak-free RV for a long time by choosing the Gorilla Silicone Sealant Caulk for your camper, automobile and recreational vehicle, and so on.

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had this same thread a while ago.

A number of manufactures use silicone and many RV techs do. Like one told me when doing some work on my RV and I freaked out about him using silicone. "Been doing it for years, works as well or better than anything else so why would I not use it". The part he siliconed was fine 5 years later when I sold the unit.

I would not hesitate using it on openings on the sides but not sure about a roof.

2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Caulking
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS