|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> PA Drivers License Class

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

J&E wrote:

Schlep 1967 had it correct. I called Penn Dot, he had to leave the phone three times to get the correct answer. If the combination is under 26,000 Lbs, no class A license is required.
Thanks everyone for your input.

under the listed GVW.. or actual weight ??

because this- 10# off... skin of your chinny chin chin
2003 GMC GVWR-Maximum GVWR 11,400 lbs.
2003 Jayco 36 RLTS GVWR - 14,500 lbs.

As long as you are not driving a "company truck" with a name on the side of it, you have no reason to enter a weigh station. So they would only be looking at paperwork. GVW. If your truck becomes commercial (company name on the side of it) you are not only looking at different license but also different (higher) registration ratings.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As rigs get larger and heavier here's something to think about in my opinion. Most folks you see hauling RV's , a male/husband is driving. Based on posts so far f your over 26K GVW and RV is over 10K (which is most nowadays), how many females are willing to get a non CDL A? Personally, I enjoy a break every now and then when on long trips from driving and DW takes the reins. As a semi driver w/ a CDL A and several endorsements, not a prob for me to drive whatever. The DW just has a regular standard NYS driver's license as no non CDL A is required here in NY that I know of. She does a GREAT job yanking this down the road as I fall asleep and she only wakes me if something is amiss Not saying this part to be a wise azz, but perhaps being married to a truck driver has helped her.

So my point is (at least for this thread/topic), would females be willing to take a non CDL course if they are to drive heavy RV's? Same thing can be said about anyone buying a 45' diesel pusher . Just my thoughts.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love to brag that my wife drives our rig as much as I do. However, I am a fan of people getting training when they drive the big stuff. I remember the guy who was afraid that if his Class A diesel ran out of air he wouldn't have any brakes. I think the idea of a non-commercial CDL is confusing to a lot of people. Perhaps it should be called an RV license so there isn't any confusion.

What confuses me is most RVers don't need any sort of special training or licencing to drive the big stuff yet I need a CDL with Air Brake endorsement to drive the big stuff because I'm being paid to drive by an RV dealer. Are were not driving the same RV's? Why do I need special training and licencing and you don't? That's what is confusing to me.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

librty02

Western Pa

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been researching this currently as I am thinking about a F450 and a larger 5th wheel in the future. Had a Dually and 5th in the past but I was not over the 26,001 lbs GCW.

I am in Pa and like said before if over 26,001 lbs towing you do need a Class A. If diesel pusher etc over the 26k you need a Class B Non commercial license.

Now the kicker is if you have a F450 with a 14000lb GVWR and a 5th wheel that has a 14000lb GVWR the state see's that at 28000lbs no matter what even if you are pulling under the 26,001 because your trailer is not fully loaded. They will go by the possible GCWR of both vehicles.

$5 for the Class A non commercial permit and you must have another Class A non commercial or higher licensed person with you when you take the driving test and a truck trailer over that 26,001lb to test on.

2011 FORD F-150 FX4 CREW CAB ECO...
2018 Ford F-150 Max Tow Crew 6.5 3.5 Eco...
2013 Keystone Passport 2650BH, EQUAL-I-ZER 1K/10K

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have a class A for years I'm at 62,500# combined

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/04/19 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ACZL, might want to double check, last I knew if your TV/RV combo was over 26001 an "R" endorsement to your license like a Motorcycle endorsement is required.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

frankgibbons1947

Small City, NY

View Profile

Posted: 11/30/19 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do I need a special license to drive an RV?

The answer to this common question may surprise you. In most cases, RV owners do not need any special license in order to drive their rig.

As long as your motorhome weighs in at less than 26,000 lbs—and most are well below this threshold—then you’re good to go in every single state, without needing to meet any special driver’s license requirements.

This article shared good information about RV driving license.

https://rvingreviews.com/need-a-special-license-to-drive-an-rv/

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/30/19 07:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

frankgibbons1947 wrote:

Do I need a special license to drive an RV?

The answer to this common question may surprise you. In most cases, RV owners do not need any special license in order to drive their rig.

As long as your motorhome weighs in at less than 26,000 lbs—and most are well below this threshold—then you’re good to go in every single state, without needing to meet any special driver’s license requirements.

This article shared good information about RV driving license.

https://rvingreviews.com/need-a-special-license-to-drive-an-rv/

Just remember, in states that have the license upgrade requirement, it is the listed gvwr that governs this rule, not what the rv scales at on any given day unless your running over gvwr & get stopped by the portable scale Troopers, rv probably odds slim & none.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> PA Drivers License Class
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS