|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Extension Cord

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
kearlms

Rexburg, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have found ourselves in a spot where we are going to have to live in our camper for a bit and need to purchase an extension cord that will reach the closest power. I am looking at a heavy duty 100 ft 12 gauge extension cord. I will only be plugging into a 15 amp plug for the time and it is about 100 ft from the trailer. We wont be using the A/C and will only be using lights, TV, and heater when needed. So, my question is will this be good enough for us?

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think that would work fine. I found a 100 ft 12ga. cord at Costco for a good price.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good to go. Worst case the breaker will trip and you will need to adjust the load in the RV or discover the shared load at the source.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even though you pan on using minimal power except for a heater and especially because of the heater, I would suggest using a 10 gauge extension cord. Be prepared for connector and trailer 15/30 adapter failure on any cord you decide on. I would be prepared with a 30TT female connector to replace the standard 15 amp cord body for the trailer end of cord.
another option is to get 10/2 with ground UF cable instead of an extension cord. Build your own "cord" with it.
10/3 100foot extension cord

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, that 100' 10AWG extension cable is costly! But it would cut your voltage loss some.
I measured 107.7VAC on my EMS at 110' of 12AWG from my breaker box to the TT. Starting voltage, no load 122VAC. This was with just the AirCon on and converter, all else turned off. Pulled 12.9 amps.
Added in the fridge and it read 104.5VAC pulling a total of 15.8 amps.
I installed a Progressive Industries EMS 30 but used a Kil-A-Watt meter prior. The Kil-A-Watt cost about $25 at Harbor Freight. It's good to know how much power your RV gear pulls. In volts, watts, & amps.
Bottom line, keep your cables as big and as short as possible and what you can afford.
Www.calculator.net voltage drop calculator. Plug in your wire length, AWG, starting voltage, and amp load and it will tell you expected voltage loss. Very accurate. Most electrical and electronics are designed run no lower than 105VAC.
You'll need to educate yourself and others on what can be turned on at the same time given your power source. With 100' 12AWG extension cord, no microwave with AirCon OR electric space heater. Or any electric heated cooking device including coffee maker, toaster, frypan, etc. One of those at a time!

2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited
2019 F150 SCrew STX SB 5.0 factory tow package

Boomerweps

Hills of PA

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for a sample of power use per item in my TT:
Fridge 2.733 amps
BR fan .33 amps
Microwave 10.25 amps
AirCon 12.05 amps
Converter at idle .117 amps
Water heater 10.38 amps
Toaster 5.77 amps
Space heater 1500 watt 12.5 amps
Electric griddle 12.5 amps
Single serve coffee maker 6.67 amps

Granted, not all TT have the same appliances but this will give you an idea. Hopefully, the receptical and circuit you are plugging into is 20 amp vice 15. IF the supply line is all 12AWG to the receptical it can use a 20 amp circuit breaker per NEC.

Seperate issue. If you are going to be in the TT for an extended time, look into getting a 100# propane tank. Depending on your heating and cooking choices.

What about water and sewer in your situation?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Don't buy a premade cord. Go to an electrical wholesaler and purchase 100 feet of #10-3. Get the type rated for cold weather and UV resistant.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

kearlms

Rexburg, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So all we will be running is Fridge on propane, Furnace, TV, Bathroom fan as needed, Water pump, and charging phones as needed. Not using a lot of power. Stove we will use, but that is propane. Microwave may or may not be used, but if it does it will only be if necessary. Wife does not like microwaves very much. WE have plenty of water, spigot within 10 feet. Sewer we will have to pull out and dump, but we will have an indoor bathroom for our use.

Oxfofd, Fl

View Profile

Posted: 04/18/19 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Even though you pan on using minimal power except for a heater and especially because of the heater, I would suggest using a 10 gauge extension cord. Be prepared for connector and trailer 15/30 adapter failure on any cord you decide on. I would be prepared with a 30TT female connector to replace the standard 15 amp cord body for the trailer end of cord.
another option is to get 10/2 with ground UF cable instead of an extension cord. Build your own "cord" with it.
10/3 100foot extension cord

What he said

The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/18/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kearlms wrote:

So all we will be running is Fridge on propane, Furnace, TV, Bathroom fan as needed, Water pump, and charging phones as needed. Not using a lot of power. Stove we will use, but that is propane. Microwave may or may not be used, but if it does it will only be if necessary. Wife does not like microwaves very much. WE have plenty of water, spigot within 10 feet. Sewer we will have to pull out and dump, but we will have an indoor bathroom for our use.
You will be using maybe 2 amps most of the time. Maybe 4 if you put every light on while using the pump and fan to shower. Standard microwave will pull a solid 12 amps alone. Maybe less for a small unit. Divide cooking wattage by 10 or read the nameplate at the cord entry.
100' #12 is fine for all this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Extension Cord
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.