|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lug Nut Torque

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mapguy

Puget Sound

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For Dexter and Alko axles the chart on page 75 of the linked PDF file from Dexter axle, will give you the proper answer to the torgue question - it also outlines the proper tightening procedure to use...

Dexter Service Manual -go to page 75

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"DEPENDS"

My DRV's lugs are 5/8" and have the clamping lug nuts as does my DRW. I torque both to 150.

Page 75 below.

[image]

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I was checking on my 8 lug rims with 1/2-20 studs, Dexter warned torque was not to exceed 120 ft-lbs. I keep mine at 105 ft-lbs with aluminum rims. Important, after having your tires changed at a tire shop to go home loosen the lugs one at a time, and re-torque properly.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

When I was checking on my 8 lug rims with 1/2-20 studs, Dexter warned torque was not to exceed 120 ft-lbs. I keep mine at 105 ft-lbs with aluminum rims. Important, after having your tires changed at a tire shop to go home loosen the lugs one at a time, and re-torque properly.

I am thinking the one at a time may not work as you think it would. Personally I have done the same but loosened all nuts then torque.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

I just tell the technician the torque I want and expect him to use a hand wrench. Any good shop does this already. I use America's Tire.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

120 seems a bit high, but not by much. I torque mine to 100-110 lb. ft.

^^^^^This, with aluminum 80 psi rims. Can't remember what my current rig, with 65 psi Al rims are, though. Gonna have to re-check that.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

Discount Tire uses torque wrenches and when I'd have them put new tires on, I always checked with them on the setting. 105-110 every time. I'd check at home and they all clicked right at 105-110...every time. [emoticon]

Lyle

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Durb wrote:

Discount Tire uses torque wrenches and when I'd have them put new tires on, I always checked with them on the setting. 105-110 every time. I'd check at home and they all clicked right at 105-110...every time. [emoticon]

Lyle

I just had Discount tire install Endurance tires on my trailer. I watched him use a torque wrench on the lug nuts, he had very poor technique. Proper way to load a torque wrench is to pull on the grip. Most people that push on the grip, or hammer the torque wrench are severely over-applying torque to the fastener. One major tire company reported to me that they tested their people, some were applying torque at 200 ft-lbs over the setting! The torque wrenches Discount uses are box-beam wrenches with very small break angles. Very difficult to stop at the click when pushing on the handle.

How did you check that your lug nuts were accurate? Re- clicking with a torque wrench means they are at least that tight, not an accurate method of testing actual applied torque. There are extremely expensive torque testing wrenches available (made in Japan), but I doubt many have one of those.

If you go with the assumption the lug nuts are overtightened at a tire shop, then loosening them one at a time and re-torquing will work, and not create cross-talk.

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lug nut torque chart

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Durb wrote:

Lyle

If the torque was more it will still click. I have watched Discount tire torque and they do it correctly. They don’t use a torque stick. They run nuts snug with impact then torque.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Lug Nut Torque
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS