|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Axle blocks for raising trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm looking at a new 5th wheel that unfortunately only comes with 15' wheels. I converted my current trailer to 16" wheels, but to allow for sufficient wheel well tire clearance, I had to weld a 2" square tube to the frame to raise the trailer.

Not really wanting to go through this process again I ran across a leveling kit using blocks above the axle. The product is made by trailerblocks.com. I would not need to raise more that 1 - 2".

These look like they are made very well and just wondering if any of you have used these.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've no personal experience with them, but some say, due to side pressure on suspension, they are not a good idea. Others claim good experience, if only an inch or so blocks. Many FWs come with extra holes in the hangers for use of optional 16" wheels/tires.

The correct-trac system will raise a couple inches, and may be a better option.

Jerry

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's a lot of money for simple blocks with a hole and longer u-bolts.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see issues with blocks if raised too high, or if blocks not of high quality. I would be hesitant to raise a trailer using the lower set of hanger holes without additional support.

The hangers are pretty flimsy to begin with, and the additional torque side to side might well be an issue. With that said, I did that on my current trailer but had 2" square tubing welded across the trailer from one hanger to the opposite side hanger. Just a lot of cost and trouble.

the Correct Trac system looks interesting. Wonder if most shops are set up to do an alignment with it?

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

I've no personal experience with them, but some say, due to side pressure on suspension, they are not a good idea. Others claim good experience, if only an inch or so blocks. Many FWs come with extra holes in the hangers for use of optional 16" wheels/tires.

The correct-trac system will raise a couple inches, and may be a better option.

Jerry

I'm with you, Jerry. The Correct-Trac would be a =much= better alternative, IMO. Useful, too! [emoticon]

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

trailer raising thread

2naEagle

McCalla, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dryfly wrote:

I can see issues with blocks if raised too high, or if blocks not of high quality. I would be hesitant to raise a trailer using the lower set of hanger holes without additional support.

If the lower set of hanger holes will give you what you need you can put the X-factor on it also. I believe that all trailers need some kind of crossmembers on it.

2017 North Point 315RLTS
Disc Brakes/Joy Rider Shocks/SRE4000/EMS-HW50c/Hughes Autoformer/TST507
2017 F350 CCSB SRW
50 gal aux tank/Rancho 9000xl/air bags/Hellwig Big Wig Sway Bar/Trailer Saver BD5

Retired JSO

Northeast Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be way ahead of the game by cutting the hangers off and welding the square tubing to the frame. Then re install the hangers with a 1 1/2” tube welded perpendicular to the frame from hanger to hanger. You accomplish the height issues along with the frame flex you will get when turning sharply.

routemaster

Deming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/19/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This what I did to raise my E up 2ins also made a cross brace to help to stop sway.

2006 Everest 344J Samsung fridge, Correct Track, Solar,4 6v batteries TriStar TS-MPPT-60, Magnum MS2000.Yamaha EF3000iSEB.See Level Guages.
2015 Silverado LTZ 3500 c/c LWB.

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/19/19 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

You will be way ahead of the game by cutting the hangers off and welding the square tubing to the frame. Then re install the hangers with a 1 1/2” tube welded perpendicular to the frame from hanger to hanger. You accomplish the height issues along with the frame flex you will get when turning sharply.

As I stated in my second post this is what I did on my current trailer. Would like to keep it more simple if possible, and that's why considering blocks. At the time I did the modifications on my trailer Lippert would not warranty the frame if any welding to the frame was done unless their technician did it.

The Correct Track system concerns me. Adding extra length to hangers puts too much stress on them. There is an interesting video on YouTube showing the stress this system generates while going down the road.

I've read lots of good and bad comments about blocks but I'm having a hard time understanding why 2" or less blocks would be an issue. If it were used on an axle that experienced a lot of torque, such as a vehicle drive axle, I could see why it would eventually fail. On a trailer the only torque would be from hard braking.

* This post was edited 04/19/19 09:02pm by dryfly *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Axle blocks for raising trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS