|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> towing with a esclade

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An Escalade is the wrong choice for pulling an 8000 lb TT.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

bartlettj

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I know it is not exactly the same, but I tow a 7000 pound boat with a 2011 Yukon Denali XL.

Some of the issues I have (like trailer sway) shouldn't effect you. It has OK pulling power, but don't expect it to stay in 6th gear. Mine is in 5th most of the time, and will drop lower when it hits a hill.

Going through he mountains of Colorado, I see both engines and transmission temps approaching 250*. Two GM dealers and an independent transmission shop all told me that is par for the course towing heavier through the hills.

When we replace our Yukon in the next couple of years it will likely be with a new style Navigator or Expedition. I believe they have higher towing capacity.

I had the same heat experience with my Tahoe. Now I tow with a Duramax/Allison and the temperature never really moves.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What these responses are not articulating is WHY it's not a good idea.

In all likelihood, you will not like the performance and handling of a full load of passengers in an Escalade with that much trailer behind.

By yourself, no problem unless you're a pack rat and the truck is full of junk. With an additional 800lbs of wife, kids, dogs, toys, snacks, bikes, etc., and the 1200lbs of trailer tongue, it's not going to be any fun.

It will be FAR from a death trap. Just irritating to drive, perhaps unpleasant. You won't notice at first due to lack of experience but over time you will.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real problem is that they seem to be going away from 3/4 ton SUVs (and there never were 1 ton SUVs, and even the 3/4 ton ones never had the suspension and payload ability of a similarly-equipped pickup). There's no reason why an SUV can't be built to be a BETTER tow vehicle than a pickup, but the fact remains that the current offerings aren't. Although I'm now a fifth wheel camper, I might change to a TT based rig if they made an SUV I thought worthy of pulling a big one.

Trailers are bigger and heavier than ever now, taking advantage of the capacity and power new tow rigs have. Unfortunately, SUVs have gone completely the other direction.

There may be legal issues here, too, since nobody has ever tried to make an SUV with a 12,000+ lb. GVWR, it's unclear what legal area it'd occupy.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Going away because the majority of SUV/CUV fashion statement crowd does NOT tow heavy

Today's station wagon

There is a 1 ton Suburban, but designed for government business and high dollar rollers who can afford to armor plate them...but...that only has a MTWR (Max Tow Weight Rating) of 3,000 lbs

Before SUV's become the highest margin vehicle for the OEMs...Suburbans (the longest running continuous automotive badge) were real TV's for towing heavy

GMT400's and GMT800's were the last of the 3/4 ton. Yes, the next gen after the GMT800 did have a 3/4 ton, but for the sake of looks...marketing told engineering to 'hide' the receiver behind the bumper

So, the receiver is now part of the bumper and with that, has crumple zone duties....which gets stress raiser notches on the connecting bracket between the bumper/receiver to frame rail

The why of the 1,000 lb max tongue weight rating with a WD hitch system

A 3/4 ton GMT400 (7.4L big block) and GMT800 (8.1L big block) Suburban has the same rear axle assembly as the 1 ton dually of that same year, with the leaf spring pack a bit softer sprung during the initial travel. AAM (American Axle Manufacturing) rates those axles 10,000 GAWR and GM puts on the brakes/springs/etc and re-rates them 6,000 lb GAWR

For the OP, an Esclade 'can do it', but if at the limits/ratings, not well during a MR Murphy meeting.

The 6.2L is aluminum and more hot rod (lower duty cycle rating) than towing (higher duty cycle rating)

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 01:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SUVs became the bigger substitute for soccer moms, for the primary use of transporting families and groceries. So there was less demand for the 3/4 ton ones and EPA restrictions made them less profitable for the manufacturers. I see many SUVs with no factory tow package.

So it's no wonder SUVs are moving away from 3/4 ton models and towing platforms.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> towing with a esclade
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS