RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Is it legal to get use?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is it legal to get use?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Note that OP is in Alberta,Canada...different country, different rules. Asking a legal question on an internet forum is only worth what you pay for it...dick all!!

Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z,
Good observation, no one took notice of that before dispensing "legal" advice.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 06:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RAS43 wrote:

Z,
Good observation, no one took notice of that before dispensing "legal" advice.
I'm sure most people noticed, I know I did. But the question was asked without regard to country of origin. So people answered with what they thought was correct and gave their opinion.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dutch_12078 wrote:

RV'ers and boaters using mail forwarding services have an absolute right to vote where they've established their domicile. Note that "residency" is not the same as a "domicile". When you register a domicile intention, you're declaring that location as the place you intend to return to when you're no longer traveling. Whether that particular elections commissioner can prevent people from voting in local elections is a matter for the courts, but he does not have the right to prevent them from voting in statewide and national elections. Even the homeless living under a bridge or in a different shelter every night have that right.

Your domicile remains as your prior location until you establish a new one. So if you move to Thailand from Wyoming, you are still domiciled in Wymoning until you establish a new domicile. Claiming a new domicile is intended for a modest transition period not years.

The issue with mail services is people are clearly claiming a domicile when they have no intention of ever moving there...and yes, my understanding is the courts are being brought in to sort it out.

Homeless people = red herring in this discussion. They can vote in the area they live as it is legitimately their domicile and residence. Some hassles proving it but otherwise a totally different discussion.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/21/19 11:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Note that OP is in Alberta,Canada...different country, different rules. Asking a legal question on an internet forum is only worth what you pay for it...dick all!!

When you post to a US website where 90% of the members are from the US...it's pretty reasonable to assume they aren't from Zimbabwe. If you have to verify every detail and possible exemption to every rule...may as well shut the site down as no one will ever know enough to answer.

No harm but really the OP should have clarified that he is Canadian if he wanted Canada specific info.

Z-Peller

Oceanside BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 01:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Quote:

Z-Peller wrote:

When you post to a US website where 90% of the members are from the US...it's pretty reasonable to assume they aren't from Zimbabwe. If you have to verify every detail and possible exemption to every rule...may as well shut the site down as no one will ever know enough to answer.

No harm but really the OP should have clarified that he is Canadian if he wanted Canada specific info.

Valhalla....I agree with you, but I think you missed my point. Looking for legal advise on an internet forum is what I was calling out.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 04:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

Valhalla....I agree with you, but I think you missed my point. Looking for legal advise on an internet forum is what I was calling out.

Then we disagree. I wouldn't be the farm on it but not a bad idea to do preliminary research thru this method.

mowermech

Billings, MT

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we were full-timing a few years ago, we used a Personal Mail Box (PMB) at a UPS store in the town where we were registered to vote, licensed our vehicles, etc. for our mail. The UPS store forwarded our mail, weekly, to whatever address we gave them.
One RV park we stayed at for several months refused to act as a mail clearing house for their residents, so we had to get our mail at General Delivery, the local Post Office. That is the address we gave the UPS store. No problems.
Before we relocated, we advised the UPS store to hold mail until notified of the new address, to avoid problems with the Post Office.
When we settled down and established roots again (same state, different county), we closed the UPS store account and notified the Post Office and those who regularly sent us mail of the permanent change of address. Again, no problems.
It really is simpler than some seem to think it is.

CM1, USN (RET)
2002 Fleetwood Southwind 32V, Ford V10
Daily Driver: '06 PT Cruiser Turbo
Toad: '05 Wrangler Unlimited
Toy: 1999 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, Auto, 4X4
Other toys: 2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes

ol Bombero-JC

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Z-Peller wrote:

".....dick all!!" .....[emoticon]...[emoticon]

~

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Is it legal to get use?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS