RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Low overpasses, etc.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Low overpasses, etc.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measure the height of the RV. Then pay attention to the height markings on overpasses. Add at least 6 inches as a safety measure.

You will almost always see signs well in advance advising of any low overpasses.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a telescoping painters handle and meassured the exact height of the RV empty and air bags to max and tires to max, les than a 1/4 fuel tank no water and nearly empty propane tank, this is the max height granted it will not be so when loaded but that height is the minimum that I look for in gasoline station canopies, under passes, bridges and tree lined streets and if in doubt I will stop some distance from the canopy, underpass, bridge and use the painters handle to measure the actual height, I have the handle marked so that I only need to extend it and I can also measure the exact height by extending the handle to the lowest point and then using the tape to get a reading, only had to turn around once in Tucson under a railroad track, vandals had stolen the signs the LEO was gladd I did not go under and helped me turn arroundq.

Most people seem to never look up and only focus on the road and completely forget the height of the vehicle, this includes camp grounds where tree branches hang down, seen a lot of roofs and sides punctured from inatentive drivers backing into them, I always get out and walk the spot looking for obstructions above and also for depressions that might tilt the unit into a tree, specially in tree abundant first time visit for us, this is specially when arriving at night.

navegator

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drag my large 5th wheels all over the country and have yet to be turned around from a low bridge. I mostly stay on Interstates, US highways and other primary roads. I use the in-dash GPS in my Chevy truck and Google Maps on my cell phone. I also use the Motor Carrier's Atlas to look at roads that the truckers use.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

catkins

Western Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interstate highways are never a problem. For all other routes, I check my Truckers Road Atlas - quickly shows safe routes for Truckers ie safe for my Class A. Also, you can use Trucker Path app which shows low clearance issues. I love my GPS but always check my route and verify via another method. Happy Trails!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

if it looks low? STOP and double check

Not always possible-prevention is better. We always used the Trucker's Road Atlas. Pre-planning your route helps to avoid getting into a sticky-wicket.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 11:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Measure the height of the RV. Then pay attention to the height markings on overpasses. Add at least 6 inches as a safety measure.

You will almost always see signs well in advance advising of any low overpasses.
Don't just measure to the roof top, measure to the highest thing sticking up, like the AC unit, if that's the tallest.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

doxiemom11

Paris, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been on the road 8 years and also have never come across a low overpass. There are some, but mostly on small country roads and inner city. We use US Hwys, State roads, and stay off the interstates as much as possible. When checking out a campground -- READ their entire listing - sometimes they tell you DO NOT come from this direction because of low overpass or weight limits and will tell you the approved route.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 06:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been on the road 8 years and also have never come across a low overpass.

It's more of an issue in certain parts of the country, particularly in the northeast. Some of the roads are not small country roads where the bridges are. Agree with you 100%-heed their warning NOT to take certain roads.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SteveWoz wrote:

I'm getting ready for the maiden trip with my wife's and my new 36' motorhome w/toad. What pre-trip measures do you take to ensure that you aren't going to end up in a difficult situation in terms of where your GPS leads you? I'm having disturbing visions of having to pull over because an overpass is too low and not being able to turn around.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Buy the Garmin Diesel 7" GPS. You program the unit based on the height of your motorhome and will avoid routs with low bridges/passes based on your height. It alson has a "Voice Command" function whereby you can tell what changes you want i.e. brightness of screen, volume of voice etc etc. by just giving it verbal commands. Best investment you ever make[emoticon][emoticon][emoticon]

accsys

Green Cove Springs, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

BarabooBob wrote:

You asked about measurements that you should take. You need to KNOW how high your RV is and also the weight of the RV and the total weight including the toad. Yes, you need the total weight because total weight is what you need for bridge restrictions.

And post those figures on your dash for immediate reference.

Both in feet and meters and pounds and kilograms if you plan any trips to our great northern neighbors. Its no fun trying to do the math in your head on the fly!!! [emoticon]

John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2007 Tiffin Phaeton QDH 40 w/Cat 7 350
2004 Liberty Renegade 4x4 Toad
Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar
Air Force One toad braking system
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Low overpasses, etc.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS