RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Has anyone negotiated a buy back from Keystone?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Has anyone negotiated a buy back from Keystone?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
delwhjr

TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjsurfer wrote:

Op back, we're not "locked" into a Keystone Cougar but we did have a 2007 Cougar (similar size and floorplan) and it was trouble free for 10 years.

Go figure..?

From what I'm reading it's still a crapshoot with most RV products, you're taking a chance with them all. Except the higher price models and they are usually are too heavy for my truck.

Ron W.

If you are not adverse to getting another Keystone, you might be able to negotiate a swap for a new 2020 unit. They would not have to give out cash, they could supply out of stock which would be a lot less than MSRP to their bottom line. If you could chose options and get to do a thorough PDI upon delivery; it could be a better deal all around.

2019 F250 Crew 4x4 6.2
2019 Rockwood UltraLite 2608BSD

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Op back, we're not "locked" into a Keystone Cougar but we did have a 2007 Cougar (similar size and floorplan) and it was trouble free for 10 years.

Go figure..?

From what I'm reading it's still a crapshoot with most RV products, you're taking a chance with them all. Except the higher price models and they are usually are too heavy for my truck.

Ron W.

03 Dodge 2500 SRW,SB,EC
2018 Keystone 25RES
DRZ-400SM
DL-650

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

I'd say if they offered you NADA, that would be generous. And 130 nights in 2 years is a lot of camping. Full replacement value would be an unrealistic expectation IMO. Always negotiate, but if I got 80 percent on a 2 year old buy back, I would be happy with that.

And if there is a negotiation, I'd certainly phrase it as I had the camper available to me this many months out of the 24 months (or whatever that number is). That percentage will sound better than the 130 night does as that's much more camping that many people do with their campers in 3-4 years.My first offer would be for a new model from this year, similarly or better equipped and hold firm. Don't concede anything the first conversation. Let them sit on the offer for a bit. A day or two. Then call them back and ask them to counter offer. Generally they will offer something that if they met you in the middle between your and their offer, i.e. split the difference, that's about the maximum they will want to go.

This isn't from any experience with a manufacturer or dealer, just from negotiations in general which I do have experience with.
Best of luck in working out a tolerable to favorable solution you can be happy with.

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 07:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they have agreed to a buyback, they are admitting that the unit had so many defects that it never should have been sold in the first place.

I would demand to be made whole, as in ALL the money I spent buying this thing, as well as hauling it back and forth to the dealer, and any other expense that can be blamed on the defective merchandise.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My unpopular opinion... If the offer is no where near generous, I'd hire an automotive lemon law attorney to represent your interests.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

My unpopular opinion... If the offer is no where near generous, I'd hire an automotive lemon law attorney to represent your interests.
A few people here jump to lemon law but I don't know of any lemon laws for non motorized vehicles.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Just Wandering 1

anywhere USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They will want to replace it. I had a 2008 copper canyon had serious problems talked with them in a calm way. End result was they replaced it with a 2011 cougar. They had it delivered to me in SC batteries full propane tanks had dealer check it out before delivery. no cost to me at all.

rjsurfer

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 02:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just Wandering 1 wrote:

They will want to replace it. I had a 2008 copper canyon had serious problems talked with them in a calm way. End result was they replaced it with a 2011 cougar. They had it delivered to me in SC batteries full propane tanks had dealer check it out before delivery. no cost to me at all.

Hopefully we will have the same outcome as you did. I too was always respectful when talking with dealer and Keystones warranty people, never worth getting aggrivated, they didn't build it! Now, had I been in touch with the line workers that did build the unit I would have a few choice things to say to them ??

We should know more in a day or two.

Ron W.

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 01:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

You must have DEEP pockets!

AT $200.+ an hour, plus clerical charges. PLUS he/she is "on the clock" even if your case were delayed.

Ka-ching!..[emoticon]

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 03:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

philh wrote:

A few people here jump to lemon law but I don't know of any lemon laws for non motorized vehicles.

Texas actually has one, the only one I believe? for towables, but really skewed towards the manufacturer with many hoops and hurdles.

One thing is certain, if the OP so much as mentions it in passing, that would put an abrupt stop to any good faith effort or anything else by Keystone or any other manufacturer. Its standard operating procedure. Just say Attorney and they'll clam up quick.

Dtank wrote:

philh wrote:

You must have DEEP pockets!

AT $200.+ an hour, plus clerical charges. PLUS he/she is "on the clock" even if your case were delayed.

Ka-ching!..[emoticon]

Throwing good money after bad.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Has anyone negotiated a buy back from Keystone?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.