|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Finding a guy travel mate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few years ago I bought myself (with DW approval) a Miata to do some Travel and take in some “guy” things like rodeos, tractor pulls, auto museums, see an old military friend, etc. i don’t mind traveling alone but have thought that since I have two seats, why not ask some retired guy friends if they would like to go.

It has proven more difficult that I expected. Two friends, both younger than I, have too many health issues and would be a tough fit in my car. A third also retired, at first said yes, but his DW’s daughter and children now live with them (again) and he has domestic child watching responsibilities. Apparently he was reminded of this by DW.

He and I did go see a bull riding show a few months ago locally, but we have not heard from them since. Sad, we had some nice social times, but it looks like to me that having him taken away from the home responsibilities may have been a problem.

Shucks, all I want to do is ride around in my little red sports car and do a few guy things while I still can. I had hoped to take the motorhome for a few days to some sporting events as well.

My DW would love to go with me and will in the future, but we now have her wonderful 96 yr old mum living with us and she cannot be left alone. Hiring a caregiver for several days is pricey but we may do some of that as finances allow. Otherwise looks like the little red car will only be 1/2 full. Oh well........

End of vent.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/19 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like to do "guy" things with my wife of 60 years who just so happens to be my best friend !

Guy

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Guy Roan wrote:

I like to do "guy" things with my wife of 60 years who just so happens to be my best friend !

Guy

Yea. I like to things with DW as well, but with her 96 yr old mum living with us now she usually cannot come as mum cannot be left alone. We do use a caregiver as the budget allows.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why does it have to be a guy? Do you have female friends that your wife knows and trusts? If it's solely to be a guy and discuss guy things I get it (yes really!). If it's just to go have fun why not take a female friend?

I am now going to offer some unsolicited advice: I highly recommend you MAKE money in your budget to hire a caregiver to give your wife a rest. Both of you will win.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Why does it have to be a guy? Do you have female friends that your wife knows and trusts? If it's solely to be a guy and discuss guy things I get it (yes really!). If it's just to go have fun why not take a female friend?

I am now going to offer some unsolicited advice: I highly recommend you MAKE money in your budget to hire a caregiver to give your wife a rest. Both of you will win.

Thx for the advice. We have been hiring a caregiver a day every few weeks for our day out, but the trips I am talking about will be a week or so in length. We did just do a week back and forth to Iowa, just the two of us for some work on the motorhome. The caregiver worked out very well and we will keep using her for sure.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Only problem with a female companion I am so darn good looking ...... oooops, I just looked in the mirror......

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/19 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only problem with a female companion I am so darn good looking ...... oooops, I just looked in the mirror......

LOL! And I'm happy to know you understand the importance of taking care of your wife's mental health.

Guy Roan

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/23/19 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

If the shoe was on your foot, would you suggest that hubby go off and have fun with another female ????

With that said; I concur with your second paragraph.

Guy

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the shoe was on your foot, would you suggest that hubby go off and have fun with another female ????

Absolutely. If you don't trust your spouse enough to let them have opposite-gender friends then you've got some issues you need to work out. He's traveled with female co-workers numerous times. You either trust or you move on.

* This post was edited 04/23/19 07:47am by an administrator/moderator *

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/23/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

Absolutely. If you don't trust your spouse enough to let them have opposite-gender friends then you've got some issues you need to work out. He's traveled with female co-workers numerous times. You either trust or you move on.

Well an interesting discussion for sure! Upon further review as the saying goes, DW and I talked about any possible female companion and neither of us could come up with anyone. Not a matter of is it OK, just don’t know any ladies that would be able or willing to do it.

The good news is that DW manages her and mum’s money and has looked at it and the July trip I have planned to go to Ohio to attend an A.C Gilbert Historical Society Convention (think Erector sets and other kids stuff), she will be able to come along iand manage a caregiver for a week if I can handle the trip expenses. I said deal!

Looks like we will include a couple of museums and a Friday night tractor pull as part of the trip. Yes!!.

I had thought of going to a college baseball tournament in May, but my team is not having a good year, so will likely pass on that. In June we all three, myself, DW, and mum are all going in the motorhome to MN for two weeeks and then wandering back to TN thru MI and IN. Mum can and does still travel in the mh since we put in a lift for her to sit on and it lifts her up and in.

So, problem solved for now, beyond July we will just play it by ear. Considering going to PA in Sept for the big RV show in Hershey, something all of us could do.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Finding a guy travel mate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS