|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to always get Sears Diehard Gold batteries. Never ever had a problem with any of them. But my local store is now closed

Proud father of a US Marine

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you travel a lot especially out west I would get the Walmart starting battery because there are Walmart's every where you travel. My last starting battery in the MH from Walmart lasted 9 years. I changed the tow cars batteries twice on trips one under warranty. The newer batteries have a 5 year warranty.

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I lean towards Deka batteries.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

I'm just looking for a new chassis battery for my 2006 E450 super duty

Figured it's time for a new one seeing how I have no idea how old this one is, and I think it's getting weak

I'd recommend the same approach for the engine battery as for the coach batteries: Install the largest and best battery that will fit and that you can afford. The last engine battery I had installed in our E450 based Class C was one of the Ford OEM batteries specified for their diesel pickups, which just happened to fit.

The way I figure it, you aren't going to find a Walmart in places like this: [emoticon]

[image]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just checked with my local ford truck center and a new oem with 900CCA is 139.00. Before the core refund. That's not too bad. I've heard good things about the ford I'm batteries

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

suprz wrote:

I just checked with my local ford truck center and a new oem with 900CCA is 139.00. Before the core refund. That's not too bad. I've heard good things about the ford I'm batteries

You shouldn't be disappointed with that battery.

However, even for a starting battery ... I actually prefer AGM technology for that battery ... like the ultra-reliable AGM starting battery I have in my 4X4 PU.

I find it tough to remember to check the water level in my E450 motorhome's heavy duty liquid acid OEM Ford starting battery - good as the battery might be otherwise. [emoticon]

RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 08:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the BatteriesPlus X2Power AGM batteries so when the Group 65 flooded battery was failing I replaced it with this: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ca........per-duty/2006/v10-6.8l-650cca/sli65agmdp

5 year full replacement. When dry camping I like another AGM deep cycle source.
It was 10% off ordering online and picking up in store.

The Duracell AGM looks good too:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ca........super-duty/2006/v10-6.8l-650cca/sli65agm

* This post was edited 04/25/19 08:47pm by RambleOnNW *

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RambleOnNW wrote:

I like the BatteriesPlus X2Power AGM batteries so when the Group 65 flooded battery was failing I replaced it with this: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ca........per-duty/2006/v10-6.8l-650cca/sli65agmdp

5 year full replacement. When dry camping I like another AGM deep cycle source.
It was 10% off ordering online and picking up in store.

The Duracell AGM looks good too:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ca........super-duty/2006/v10-6.8l-650cca/sli65agm
I don't know much about the AGM batteries and know there are advantages such as not having to add water and vibration but how long do the last compared to wet cells? At $200-$300 apiece I would hope they would last at least twice as long.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Gjac,

If the owner of flooded batteries is careful, their life span may often exceed those of AGM. If the owner is careless then AGM may win the life span challenge hands down.

Where AGM shine is their almost zero need for maintenance, and superior discharge and charging rates.

I certainly don't miss laying down in the snow to check electrolyte levels.

Gjac wrote:

I don't know much about the AGM batteries and know there are advantages such as not having to add water and vibration but how long do the last compared to wet cells? At $200-$300 apiece I would hope they would last at least twice as long.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Don, so it is maintenance that justifies the cost? I wish my batteries were on a slide out to make them easier to add water and clean the terminals. It is just hard for me to justify spending 3 times the cost per battery if they don’t last at least twice as long.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS