|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery recommendations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
RambleOnNW

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

RambleOnNW wrote:

I like the BatteriesPlus X2Power AGM batteries so when the Group 65 flooded battery was failing I replaced it with this: https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ca........per-duty/2006/v10-6.8l-650cca/sli65agmdp

5 year full replacement. When dry camping I like another AGM deep cycle source.
It was 10% off ordering online and picking up in store.

The Duracell AGM looks good too:

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/ca........super-duty/2006/v10-6.8l-650cca/sli65agm
I don't know much about the AGM batteries and know there are advantages such as not having to add water and vibration but how long do the last compared to wet cells? At $200-$300 apiece I would hope they would last at least twice as long.

We had a good flooded battery in the RV that was the same type 84-month flooded battery as in our other cars but it did not last nearly as long. It may have been due to the fact that the RV sits a lot and flooded batteries have higher self discharge rates and also the chassis battery powers the electric steps. I disconnect the battery when not in use.

The batteries plus AGMs are made by Northstar that allegedly has people from Odyssey that is a well regarded battery company. Our house batteries are Sears Platinum AGM marine batteries made by Odyssey and have the same specs as the Batteries Plus AGM. They are going on 8 years old and still going strong.

2006 Jayco 28', E450 6.8L V10, Bilstein HDs,
Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars, Blue Ox TigerTrak

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 08:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AGM batteries will probably last at least twice as long as liquid acid batteries if one forgets to keep the liquid levels high enough in their liquid acid batteries, or if one remembers but postpones keeping the liquid levels high enough because their liquid acid batteries are a pain to access.

Our first set of AGM RV coach batteries lasted around 8 years before I replaced them just-in-case (they were still functioning when replaced). They were taken care of by only the stock 13.6 volt fixed voltage RV converter when parked, and the RV engine's alternator when traveling.

The AGM starting battery in our occasionally used pickup truck just sits there under the hood ready to do it's starting job with no attention from me between uses - but I do dust if off about once a year.

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did get a watering kit. It was, I think, old stock and it broke when being installed.

I am currently using "reconditioned" telcom jars which I purchased from Interstate. They are now 4 years old and serving me well. I do have a large bank, but I do push them HARD. Cost was less than $1 per amp-hour.

Gjac wrote:

Hi Don, so it is maintenance that justifies the cost? I wish my batteries were on a slide out to make them easier to add water and clean the terminals. It is just hard for me to justify spending 3 times the cost per battery if they don’t last at least twice as long.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Based I what I heard in this thread the AGM batteries makes sense in a DD where you just drive it and let the alternator do the charging. My wet cell batteries in my cars usually last about 4 years. If the AGM's last 8 years and they are twice the price that makes sense. In the MH I maintain the batteries much better than my cars so my 2 Sams club 6 v house batteries are 12 years old now and still doing their job. The Walmart starting battery lasted 9 years, not because it was better than my previous Trojan marine battery which lasted 4 years but because I just charge it when I charged the house batteries. If you look at cost/amp hr I think it would be hard to beat the GC batteries from Sams Club or Costco.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gjac wrote:

If you look at cost/amp hr I think it would be hard to beat the GC batteries from Sams Club or Costco.
Reiterating what I mentioned earlier, I am extremely pleased with the Golf Car 6V AGM Duracell brand batteries from Sam's Club for $180 each. Yes they are twice the price. To-date they exceed both of my 12V wet acid battery experiences by a factor of two (so far) and continuing. There is also the benefit of never a worry about acid levels and acid boil-overs, or corroded battery terminals. The only maintenance I do with them is charge them when my volt meter reads in the 12.1v to 12.3v range. 5 years so-far so-good. It was one of the best improvements I made to our rig since we bought it new in 2007.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

AJR

Close to Madison Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put in two 6V GC batteries that would fit the compartment for less than $150 each on the current camper. Just like I have done on other new to me campers. I have never had a DC issue.

The first ones were nine years old and getting weak. The rest were replaced just because….

If the charger (converter) is a three stage charger. I have not had any problems. Just check the water level twice a year.

I like cheap & KISS….

2014 Leprechaun 290QB Chevy 6.0
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

macjom

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 05/16/19 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a fan of Deka batteries. They are long lasting and dependable.

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy the one on sale

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Battery recommendations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS