|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Power Watchdog Smart Surge Protector with Auto Shutoff

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was getting ready to order the Progressive EMS-PT50x EMS/Surge Protector and the vendor was also selling the Hughes Power Watchdog 50 Amp Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector with Auto Shutoff. Wondering if anyone used the Watchdog surge protector. From research, it does what the Progressive unit does but its ability to notify you via smartphone of a power failure and your ability to monitor power conditions from your phone is a very big plus for me. Not for sure how that would work without internet though. We sometimes leave our little weenie dogs in the RV and I'm worried of a power failure especially during the summer. We used Hughes autoformers at work and they were great but know nothing of their surge protector line. Any opinions are appreciated. Cheers.....

Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2017 Ford F-150 XLT; 3.5 Ecoboost; Max Tow
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I much prefer an autoformer.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast - Winter in AZ

View Profile

Posted: 04/24/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My reading of the user guide indicates it only uses Bluetooth connection to your phone......only good for a few dozen feet.....

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/24/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

My reading of the user guide indicates it only uses Bluetooth connection to your phone......only good for a few dozen feet.....

Also comes with a 2 year warranty where the Progressive EMS-PT50x EMS comes with a lifetime warranty,I would pass on this.

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ed_Gee wrote:

Thanks Ed, I was afraid that might be the case.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstar1952 wrote:

Was getting ready to order the Progressive EMS-PT50x EMS/Surge Protector and the vendor was also selling the Hughes Power Watchdog 50 Amp Smart Bluetooth Surge Protector with Auto Shutoff. Wondering if anyone used the Watchdog surge protector. From research, it does what the Progressive unit does but its ability to notify you via smartphone of a power failure and your ability to monitor power conditions from your phone is a very big plus for me. Not for sure how that would work without internet though. We sometimes leave our little weenie dogs in the RV and I'm worried of a power failure especially during the summer. We used Hughes autoformers at work and they were great but know nothing of their surge protector line. Any opinions are appreciated. Cheers.....

The Hughes unit does not shut your power off automatically like the EMS does under a number of electrical issues (low/high volts, open neutral or ground, reversed polarity, etc.). The Hughes unit does NOT list the peak surge current which is an important number - the PI EMS is rated 44,000 amps peak surge. None of the Hughes products are UL listed.

You *could* get the Surge Guard 50 amp surge protector that has the same features except the bluetooth for 1/2 the price or less.

There are power failure & high temp. alarms that work on an iphone.

If you want the best protection, get a PI EMS and a Hughes autoformer. Low voltage is the most common issue you will run into during the summer. I'd also install an LED voltmeter inside in a visible spot so you can always keep tabs on the voltage.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

I'd also install an LED voltmeter inside in a visible spot so you can always keep tabs on the voltage.

For the OP - one of the advantages of the hard wire Progressive EMS is it's remote monitor which cycles through a number of settings, including voltage.

[image]

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

bstar1952

Bandera, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone, after careful consideration I'm going with the Progressive EMS. Hard wired or portable, that's another story......

GrandpaKip

Flat Rock

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstar1952 wrote:

Thanks everyone, after careful consideration I'm going with the Progressive EMS. Hard wired or portable, that's another story......

I eventually went with hard wired so I could monitor what’s going on without having to go around to the pedestal. The display is mounted so it can be seen easily by popping my head in the door and from everywhere in the camper except the head.

Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bstar1952 wrote:

Hard for it to walk away if it's hard wired.

Also, for me, it prevents me from being lazy and not plugging it in. I can just see me getting in late, in the dark and poor weather and not bothering to pull the portable one out cuz I'm in a rush. Hard wired, I don't have that option.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Power Watchdog Smart Surge Protector with Auto Shutoff
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS