RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Water tank size.... What would you do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water tank size.... What would you do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I would verify the pickup tube extends to the bottom. I would also slightly tilt the trailer toward the pickup tube to get all you can...

Our last trailer was like this. The tank did not have a sump. The outlet was in the side. It was near the bottom, but the result was that when the water level was at about 1.5" it would start sucking air. And 1.5" is a lot of water left, considering most of these tanks are only around 6-8" deep. I modified the pickup so that it would pull down to about the last 3/8" before sucking air.

First think I would do on a new trailer is to cut a flap in the corroplast so that I can lay eyes on the FW tank. Most are translucent so you can see what is what under there. Then measure the dimensions of the tank to verify the actual capacity.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Rwake901

Central, Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

What were you using to check the tank when filling? If you were using the fresh water metered lights on the control panel then that could be the problem.
My 5er tank fill lights are way off. I bought a water meter and had to add 15+/- gals after the full light came on.
I had my tank out when I was trying to fix a squeaky floor and using my water hose meter filled it till the meter said 54 gals, which is what I'm supposed to have and it was topped off perfectly.

It also sagged in the middle. I'd have to add two 7 gal jugs to finish out our dry trips. When I'd get home and drain. I'd drain out what seemed like 14 gals.
So you could have several factors causing your shortage.

I fill it until it comes out the overflow.

B.O. Plenty

Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another 20 gals. would only extend your camping by one day. I would try to find ways to conserve and carry a couple 5-6 gallon jugs for backup. Manufacturer won't be doing anything to change this. You own it you'll have to figure out a way to make it work.

B.O.

Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Good idea but will hooking up to the winterize fitting fill the water tank? If I hook up to the normal tank water fill and turn on the water pump will it suck it in from those blue totes ?

I've not done it, yet, but I've read a number of posts where people have done, and do, so. Just set your valves to "winterize" and it'll pull water into the fresh tank...or at least that's what everyone who's done it says to do. Personally, I'm of the opinion that there should still be a gravity fill.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crabbypatty wrote:

Our TT has 56 gallons. Soon new to us FW will have 40. Seems like most FW have smaller tanks as I guess they don't expect people to dry camp in them but we do. Under my TT there is room to add a tank. Once I get the FW home, I will open up underneath and see about adding a tank. I do have 4- 5 gallon water jugs as well. Last summer I noticed a FW who was filling his tank through the winterizing fitting. I will also try that. Still would rather add another tank underneath.

May be easier to just replace your current tank. It's amazing how much capacity you can gain by just adding a couple inches of dimension.

Lyle

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

Another 20 gals. would only extend your camping by one day. I would try to find ways to conserve and carry a couple 5-6 gallon jugs for backup. Manufacturer won't be doing anything to change this. You own it you'll have to figure out a way to make it work.

B.O.

A 5-10% change in spec is one thing, but a 20% change?! That's off the charts. IMO, if that info were on a placard, like tire and weight info, I'd've refused to take delivery, flat out, even if it was a special order. Again, IMO, I think that this happens because the mfr, whichever one, didn't get a delivery of the right size tanks, so they just slap in whatever they have enough of.

Lyle

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Somebody is using WAY too much water.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

ZeeLet50

Alden, New York

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was lucky in my old keystone the fresh tank was under the bed. it was 40 gal and would barley last two days. I replaced with a 60 gal and could get through weekends with showers for the 2 of use. It cost about $300 to replace but was accessible and easy to replace. Under frame ones would present more of a challenge. Adding to an earlier comment,no all 5th wheel brands skimp on tank size, My Grand design has 60 gal fresh and 87 gal grey.

2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B.O. Plenty wrote:

Another 20 gals. would only extend your camping by one day...

You obviously don't boondock much.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bpounds wrote:

B.O. Plenty wrote:

Another 20 gals. would only extend your camping by one day...
You obviously don't boondock much.
That is the point. If 40 gallons gets the OP two days then the 60 gallon spec only goes three days.
Need more conservation.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water tank size.... What would you do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS