RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Water tank size.... What would you do?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water tank size.... What would you do?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

The website,brochure RV Dealers and everything states it has a 66 gallon fresh water tank....It's ONLY 40 gallon... .. What would you do???

I would learn to deal with less fresh water and maybe carry extra jugs of water if need be. I would not expect anything from the dealer or manufacturer, as I bet there is a statement that says specifications are subject to change without notice. I would focus on everything I like about the RV.

bpounds

Sophmore Brain...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rwake901 wrote:

Good idea but will hooking up to the winterize fitting fill the water tank? If I hook up to the normal tank water fill and turn on the water pump will it suck it in from those blue totes ?

I've heard that you can do that. I have a gravity fill port, so I just use that. Sit bottle up on a ladder or similar, use a hose into the fill port. You can also get a small pump that will drop down into the jug and you could send pressure to your fill inlet to assist your onboard pump. BTW, those jugs are threaded 3/4 pipe, so fresh water hoses will connect up, using plastic nipples or whatever. I shopped for the submersible pumps recently, but decided to just use gravity instead.

2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

DavinD

Litchfield Park, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/25/19 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are pretty nice.

https://amazon.com/dp/B009ONFDEM

2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/25/19 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your lines are probably hooked to the tank like mine are. On mine the drain is connected to the tank bottom. The connection for the pump is on the side of the tank about 1.5" above the bottom, and the vent is about 1.5" bellow the top. This reduces the usable water volume by more than you might think. So far i have plumbed the pump into the drain connection and plugged the original connection. I still want to relocate the vent higher.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/19 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our TT has 56 gallons. Soon new to us FW will have 40. Seems like most FW have smaller tanks as I guess they don't expect people to dry camp in them but we do. Under my TT there is room to add a tank. Once I get the FW home, I will open up underneath and see about adding a tank. I do have 4- 5 gallon water jugs as well. Last summer I noticed a FW who was filling his tank through the winterizing fitting. I will also try that. Still would rather add another tank underneath.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/19 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Yep. Weasel print always says "specs are changeable at any time without notice".

It's in every brochure, and on every website, for every RV manufacturer. You had better do your due diligence and not expect that because the X255S you looked at yesterday at dealer A, is exactly the same as the X255S you're looking at today at dealer B, or either are the same as the X255S you special ordered at dealer C when it comes in.

Once the OP signed on the line, game over. Plain and Simple. No matter what anyone thinks as far as what is the right thing, that's the way the entire RV Industry operates, and has since there has been an RV Industry. Caveat Emptor.

lee worsdell

elmvale

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a water bag I can fill . Its 50 gallons I run a hose to the water supply and turn pump on fills it no problem. then just fold the bag up. pain in the butt my last trailer was 104

Pipeman

Windsor, Ontario,

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 05:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We dry camp most of the time when we go camping. We have a 35 ft 5th wheel. Fresh water is 60 gallons. I have 2 water bladders I can use. One is 60 gals and the other 55. We have a 1 ton dually long box so I can put the 60 gal bladder in front of the 5th wheel as it looks like an over sized AWOL bag. We will be doing that next month when we will go for a week of dry camping. The other bladder goes behind the 5th wheel and it doesn't get filled until after we arrive at our destination but on the trip coming it will not be used. I use a RV water pump which gets plugged into the 7 way plug at the rear of the truck. I have an adapter into which a 12 volt plug in is used to power the pump, which is placed on the Tgate. We aren't stingy with the water as we have showers every morning but they are navy showers. Get wet, water off, lather up, water on to rinse, water off. I have used an air compressor run by our genny to pump water into the gravity feed of our trailers over the years and this 5er has a gravity feed also. I think my set up would work with the systems I read about on the newer trailers. I've also had different water containers, over the years to pump water from but what we use now is the best we've had. 5 gallon plastic jugs, 50 gallon plastic barrels and now colapsible water bladders. I have 3 kids(adults) who also use the collapsible water bladders. Adapt and have fun.

Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What were you using to check the tank when filling? If you were using the fresh water metered lights on the control panel then that could be the problem.
My 5er tank fill lights are way off. I bought a water meter and had to add 15+/- gals after the full light came on.
I had my tank out when I was trying to fix a squeaky floor and using my water hose meter filled it till the meter said 54 gals, which is what I'm supposed to have and it was topped off perfectly.

It also sagged in the middle. I'd have to add two 7 gal jugs to finish out our dry trips. When I'd get home and drain. I'd drain out what seemed like 14 gals.
So you could have several factors causing your shortage.

memtb

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The under the bed “bladder” sounds like a good idea. Also, a bladder or two in the truck bed is also a great option. The under the bed bladder would be an especially “great” idea, if you camp in very cold weather. We use a 55 gallon plastic drum for extra water.....a real pain to keep water in the “liquid state” when camping in single digit F or colder temps.

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Water tank size.... What would you do?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.