|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Duramax owner hitch question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mxdad777

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I picked up a new 2019 GMC Duramax today and it has the optional 5th wheel/goose neck option installed from the factory. My question is, what hitch do you all recommend for the puck system? In my research I can only find 2 different models. One by B&W and one by Curt. Are there any others I should be looking at? You GM owners, which one do you prefer?
Thanks!

2018 Rockwood Signature 8299BS 5th wheel
2019 GMC Duramax 4x4

Bigfoot affair

Sweet Grass

View Profile

Posted: 04/26/19 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short bed? If so Pullrite makes a auto slider that fits the pucks now.

mxdad777

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/26/19 11:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bigfoot affair wrote:

Short bed? If so Pullrite makes a auto slider that fits the pucks now.

It is a short bed, but the 5er I bought has the Reece Revolution pin box so I don’t need a slider. Thanks though for the reply.

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mxdad777 wrote:

I picked up a new 2019 GMC Duramax today and it has the optional 5th wheel/goose neck option installed from the factory. My question is, what hitch do you all recommend for the puck system? In my research I can only find 2 different models. One by B&W and one by Curt. Are there any others I should be looking at? You GM owners, which one do you prefer?
Thanks!

When you say "5th wheel/gooseneck option", are you referring to the 4 pucks or the ball in the middle of the bed? B & W makes a great product for both options. If it's the ball in the bed, you may want to consider the Andersen Ultimate Hitch as well if you're looking for light-weight and simplicity. I've used both and enjoyed them equally.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hensley offers a puck adapter for the Trailer Saver BD3 (excellent hitch) and the heavier B5 will fit directly into the GM puck system without an adapter.
Do yourself and your fiver a favor and get an air suspension hitch.

* This post was edited 04/27/19 06:43am by pcm1959 *

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

rickeoni

home

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcm1959 wrote:

Hensley offers a puck adapter for the Trailer Saver BD3 (excellent hitch) and the heavier B5 will fit directly into the GM puck system without an adapter.
Do yourself and your fiver a favor and get an air suspension hitch.

I use the Reese picture frame adaptor with my BD3, $200 cheeper. X2 on the air hitch.

2008 F450
2007 Adventurer 85WS
2012 Haulmark "The Garage"
2016 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak 26 RKS

hbillsmith

www.RVroadtripper.com

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mxdad777 wrote:

It is a short bed, but the 5er I bought has the Reece Revolution pin box so I don’t need a slider. Thanks though for the reply.

I use the Andersen Ultimate in my 6.6' bed Duramax. With a Double Cab, the bed is a so called "Standard Bed 6.6ft". With a Crew Cab its a "Short Bed 5.5ft". My Pinbox is the MorRyde Rubber Pin Box and I must say the ride is great and I always recommend that combo.

When I last spoke to Andersen about the MorRyde compatibility they advised it is their best combo but the Andersen Ultimate works fine for just about any hitch EXCEPT the Reese Revolution. For the Reese Revolution you must tow with the Revo in locked position such that the pivot point is over the ball and not at the Revo's pinbox spinner. When parking or in narrow turn situations it is ok to unlock the Revo but you just shouldn't do your regular towing with the Revo unlocked.

Wildcat2016-295rsx GMC2015-2500HD-DblCab D'max/Allisn+4x4 6.6'Bed
Maxxis235/80/16E;Andersen Ultimate2+4"offset;Airlft1 WirelessComp;GroundCtrl3;MorRyde RubbPinBox+CRE3000;3-Slidecovrs;Champion3100w/DIY ExtndRun;10'Portabote+5hp;Furrion48cam
Visited States

kennethwooster

Perryton Tx USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 11:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would only consider the B&W. I’ve used a lot of different hitches over the years. Got a Ford F-350 with pucks. Installed B&W and was shocked at how well it worked.

kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

mxdad777

Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

mxdad777 wrote:

Thanks!

When you say "5th wheel/gooseneck option", are you referring to the 4 pucks or the ball in the middle of the bed? B & W makes a great product for both options. If it's the ball in the bed, you may want to consider the Andersen Ultimate Hitch as well if you're looking for light-weight and simplicity. I've used both and enjoyed them equally.

It has both the 4 puck slots as well as the center goose neck installed from the factory.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are going to use a B&W Companion hitch, get the one that mounts in the pucks, not the bed mount that utilizes the gooseneck ball. B&W states that hitch is not to be used with your type of pin box. Andersen is out for your pin box.

My vote is for Trailer Saver BD5. High quality, comfortable tow, gear protection. Fits right in your pucks. Only downsides are weight and wallet assault.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Duramax owner hitch question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS