|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> winterizing with compressed air

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been using compressed air for years but I also run RV antifreeze after the blow out.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

old guy

Oregon (pronounced Or e gun)

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

back in the 70's I winterized late and only blew out the lines, the following spring I had a leak. since then I have blown
out the lines and then pumped in anti freeze. I learned the hard way and will always use anti freeze from now on

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also blow out the lines first to get rid of as much water as I can first and then pump in the pink stuff using the tank pump to pump in the antifreeze and never had any problem with broken lines. also out motorhome has all copper lines in it and most have no way to get to it something where to break or it would be a real PITA to get at. So for the cost of antifreeze its a real piece of mind not having to deal with leaks in the spring. Last year I had to break out the shelf under the bathroom sink to get to a water leak on the mother in laws motorhome, was no fun trying to work in such a confined space.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 05:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

It might just be easier to learn how to do it properly.

Even more interesting is the mode of failure. The water control valve has a threaded hole in the bottom, and there was a nylon 1/2" pipe plug in it. In the top side of the pipe plug, was a depression molded in during manufacturing. If you look at a nylon pipe plug, you will see it. Since the depression was facing up, it remained filled with a tiny bit of water during the winterizing. During the winter, it froze and cracked. When I put water into the system, it ran out the crack.

So, as suggested above, I learned how to do it properly. Properly would be to remove the wall around my shower every winter, remove the plug, empty out the tiny bit of water remaining after I use compressed air, replace the plug, and my RV is winterized.

Or, I can just use the gallon of pink stuff I always had used in the past. Even though I now know how to do it "properly"!!

[emoticon]

You’re trying to tell us a drop of water in the depression on top of a 1/2” pipe plug froze and burst a pipe?

Seriously?

Water expands by 9% when it freezes. A drop of water did not expand enough to burst anything but your story.

You either used way too small a compressor (probably one with little or no tank on it) or just plain did not blow the system out properly.

I winterize both of my units using air only numerous times a year and have for 20++ years.

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JaxDad wrote:

larry cad wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

Even more interesting is the mode of failure. The water control valve has a threaded hole in the bottom, and there was a nylon 1/2" pipe plug in it. In the top side of the pipe plug, was a depression molded in during manufacturing. If you look at a nylon pipe plug, you will see it. Since the depression was facing up, it remained filled with a tiny bit of water during the winterizing. During the winter, it froze and cracked. When I put water into the system, it ran out the crack.

So, as suggested above, I learned how to do it properly. Properly would be to remove the wall around my shower every winter, remove the plug, empty out the tiny bit of water remaining after I use compressed air, replace the plug, and my RV is winterized.

Or, I can just use the gallon of pink stuff I always had used in the past. Even though I now know how to do it "properly"!!

[emoticon]

You’re trying to tell us a drop of water in the depression on top of a 1/2” pipe plug froze and burst a pipe?

Seriously?

Water expands by 9% when it freezes. A drop of water did not expand enough to burst anything but your story.

You either used way too small a compressor (probably one with little or no tank on it) or just plain did not blow the system out properly.

I winterize both of my units using air only numerous times a year and have for 20++ years.

Think what you want. I stand by my story. I've been on this forum for about 15 years and have provided technical help to numerous members over that time. I do ALL the repairs on my diesel motorhome and have since the beginning. BTW, my word was "tiny" amount. You chose to change that to "drop". I believe I still have the plug and will search for it someday and when I find it, I will post a photo.

It was a memorable event. Happened in March. I had winterized and then set up an appointment at the American Coach factory service facility to have my windshield replaced. I drove to Decatur, arriving early evening. When I arrived, I began to put water into the system at their facility. That is when I heard water leaking behind the shower wall. I took the wall apart, found the problem (a cracked pipe plug) and found a replacement at about 8PM at O'reilys in Decatur. Continued the fill and all was good. My wife thinks I am a genius. I didn't tell her it was my fault for not knowing how to "properly" winterize.

[emoticon]

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

For several years I used the pink stuff, and several years ago, I decided to do the air winterize procedure. Come spring, I put water in the coach and guess what, I had a leak. Now, here is the interesting part, the leak was behind my shower, in the water control spigot. Even more interesting is the mode of failure. The water control valve has a threaded hole in the bottom, and there was a nylon 1/2" pipe plug in it. In the top side of the pipe plug, was a depression molded in during manufacturing. If you look at a nylon pipe plug, you will see it. Since the depression was facing up, it remained filled with a tiny bit of water during the winterizing. During the winter, it froze and cracked. When I put water into the system, it ran out the crack.

[emoticon]

I know you believe the cause, but I have winterized HUNDREDS of Motorhomes with the exact same type faucet cartridge with the plug. NEVER has that plug held enough water to freeze AND EXPAND enough to crack. I go back to you NOT winterizing correctly and getting ALL the water out that air would get out. I run the air for at least 15 minutes and do not stop till all faucets quit spitting water mist. Doug

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. blow the lines
2. pump in antifreeze
3. blow the lines saving as much of the antifreeze as I can
4. treat the traps with fresh antifreeze

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a ice maker there is a "T" valve going to it ( most likely) the line will be a small 1/4" or so line ( probably yellow). Follow it until you see where it connect to the bigger main water line ( probably blue). Shut it off. I always disconnect mine when new and never worry about the fridge ice maker leaking. On this rig it's underneth inside the front bay.

But do make such when winterizing you winterize that valve too, no matter what. I just get a cup and let the air blow the water in it and red pop when added.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

JaxDad wrote:

For several years I used the pink stuff, and several years ago, I decided to do the air winterize procedure. Come spring, I put water in the coach and guess what, I had a leak. Now, here is the interesting part, the leak was behind my shower, in the water control spigot. Even more interesting is the mode of failure. The water control valve has a threaded hole in the bottom, and there was a nylon 1/2" pipe plug in it. In the top side of the pipe plug, was a depression molded in during manufacturing. If you look at a nylon pipe plug, you will see it. Since the depression was facing up, it remained filled with a tiny bit of water during the winterizing. During the winter, it froze and cracked. When I put water into the system, it ran out the crack.

[emoticon]

This^^^ Is why you use the pink stuff. It is simply more foolproof.
Air is doable, but as mentioned there are more variables to deal with that simply are a non factor with anti freeze.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mont G&J

Missoula, MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is unless the ice maker is cycled several times like it is making and dropping ice cubes the pink stuff or compressed air cannot get the water out of the input hose and the ice maker. I use compressed air to pressurize the system, open the refrigerator and take off the front cover of the ice maker, rotate the gears manually to speed up the ice maker cycle. You need to do this until
all the water is out of the system and either the pink stuff or air is all you get when it is calling for ice cube water.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> winterizing with compressed air
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.