RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: Needing small engine yard tool experts

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Needing small engine yard tool experts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am tired of dealing with mixing gas/oil for two different tools. My Stihl leaf blower uses Stihl 50:1 synthetic oil, and my Weedeater uses 40:1 Weedeater dino oil mixture. I am thinking, just go with the 50:1 Stihl synthetic for both units. I am thinking the 50:1 synthetic, will be sufficient lubrication for the Weedeater. Am I wrong?? What would you do.

Jerry

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I kind of split the difference and have used an easy to measure 3 ounces of oil per gallon of gas ratio for both 50:1 and 40:1 tools for years with no problems.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Stihl 2 stroke oil with my 1988 Lawn Boy 2 stroker lawn mower. I use the ratio recommended by Lawn Boy. Yeah I know modern technology, new improved and synthetic 2 stroke oil, etc. But I still use the 1988 ratio determined by Lawn Boy and Stihl 2 stroke synthetic as I can't get Lawn Boy oil anymore. It works well and I only notice a blue cloud on immediate start up, which quickly goes away after the choke is reset.

Decades ago a small engine repair guy told me that a Lawn Boy engine will go forever as long as you make sure you mix the oil and gas at the factory ratio.

After 31 years of hard use..so far...so good.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t recall the exact name, Optica or something like that. It is a two cycle oil that claims to run any two cycle engine on the mix recommended on the bottle, one ratio for all 2 cycle engines. When we lived in Northern MN I used it at the same mix for everything from. A 16:1 chain saw to 50: 1 old outboard motors. In several years doing that, never had a problem.

I no longer have any 2 cycle items so no longer use it.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

I don’t recall the exact name, Optica or something like that. It is a two cycle oil that claims to run any two cycle engine on the mix recommended on the bottle, one ratio for all 2 cycle engines. When we lived in Northern MN I used it at the same mix for everything from. A 16:1 chain saw to 50: 1 old outboard motors. In several years doing that, never had a problem.

I just remembers I have one bottle left of the stuff I mentioned. It is called Opti-2. The mix is 1.3 oz per gallon. Always worked for me. And it claims to stabilized the fuel for long tern storage as well. My stuff always started right up using it, even my chain saw that did not always get run every year. No, I have no financial interest in the company, just a happy user.

GeoBoy

Northeast

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will be fine using the Stihl synthetic oil in the Weedeater at 50:1. Don’t use the weedeater oil at all.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

georgelesley wrote:

georgelesley wrote:

I just remembers I have one bottle left of the stuff I mentioned. It is called Opti-2. The mix is 1.3 oz per gallon. Always worked for me. And it claims to stabilized the fuel for long tern storage as well. My stuff always started right up using it, even my chain saw that did not always get run every year. No, I have no financial interest in the company, just a happy user.

My problem is I bought a good supply (2 6-packs) of Stihl HP synthetic due to getting good price, with purchase of leaf blower. That Opti-2 is rated well on Amazon, with many good reviews. But with only a small amount of fuel used, with my weedeater (less than 1/2 gal) I'm hoping to just use the Stihl HP, already mixed, ready to go, if no one posts why I should not. [emoticon]

Thanks for your reply!
Jerry

* This post was edited 04/27/19 03:56pm by MFL *

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 03:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GeoBoy wrote:

You will be fine using the Stihl synthetic oil in the Weedeater at 50:1. Don’t use the weedeater oil at all.

This is what I wanted to hear! I am out of weedeater oil, hate to go buy more, mix in another can, trying to split the small bottle of oil, to mix with 1/2 gal of gas.

Hearing what I wanted to hear, reminds me of the guy, with the too small truck, waiting for just one person saying it will work, when 20 other posters said it would not.[emoticon][emoticon]

Thanks,
Jerry

Sport45

Not far enough from Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Stihl synthetic at 50:1 in all my 2-stroke engines. Even the old chainsaws that were spec’d at 16:1. Just had to adjust the mixtures so they would run right. When you replace oil with gas (or vice-versa) by changing the ratio you need to make sure the engine isn’t left running lean which can quickly burn a hole in a piston. Too rich will foul plugs in a hurry.

’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 05:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sport45 wrote:

I use Stihl synthetic at 50:1 in all my 2-stroke engines. Even the old chainsaws that were spec’d at 16:1. Just had to adjust the mixtures so they would run right. When you replace oil with gas (or vice-versa) by changing the ratio you need to make sure the engine isn’t left running lean which can quickly burn a hole in a piston. Too rich will foul plugs in a hurry.

My understanding, by removing a little oil, 50:1 which means more gasoline, less oil in the mix, may cause the Weedeater to run slightly rich, when 40:1 is the spec. With the Stihl oil being high quality synthetic, I'm expecting good lubrication.

Jerry

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Needing small engine yard tool experts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS