RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Would you pay a welder to reinforce your 5th?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Would you pay a welder to reinforce your 5th?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If lippert built the frame, it's bound to crack. Lippert hires their 'welders'from fast food resturants. If I owned your RV, I'd do the work myself but then I can weld and own the equipment too.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lippert frames are NOT "bound to crack". If they were there would be no fivers on the road. That kind of Bull doesn't help anybody.

I would have the welder also consider adding gussets to the spring hanger brackets on the frame. That is one thing my son (a certified welder) did for me years ago.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the frame on my 5er reinforced when I added a hitch to the back of it.

Sadly, RVs are not know for high quality. If you have the chance to improve it for a reasonable amount of $, I say go for it.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If engineers have evaluated the pin box flex and consider it within spec I would definitely leave it alone unless for some reason you believe this welder is more knowledgeable then the engineers.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you don't already have one, I would consider spending the money you are going to pay a welder and invest in a good air hitch. In my mind, if you reinforce the pin box area, the shock waves are going to move farther down your frame and attack other welds. An air hitch will alleviate the pounding your pin takes by softening the joint. It will take the bouncing energy your truck and trailer develops and convert it into heat, then dissipate it into the atmosphere. Without a soft joint, frame flex gets to dissipate the energy.

Leeski Clan

Calgary

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

If you don't already have one, I would consider spending the money you are going to pay a welder and invest in a good air hitch. In my mind, if you reinforce the pin box area, the shock waves are going to move farther down your frame and attack other welds. An air hitch will alleviate the pounding your pin takes by softening the joint. It will take the bouncing energy your truck and trailer develops and convert it into heat, then dissipate it into the atmosphere. Without a soft joint, frame flex gets to dissipate the energy.

I have a 5th Airborne air pin box on my 5th. In looking at how it is working over bumps and rough roads, it really reduces the jarring on my 5th wheel. It virtually eliminated the chucking that I got with the stock pin box.

2008 F450 Lariate
2018 Palomino Columbus Compass 377MBC
4 x 100 watt solar, Tracer 4215bn MPPT
4 x 6v Flooded 420Ah.
GoPower IC3000 Inverter, charger, transfer switch combo.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember having a conversation with a good welder working on my trailer. "Do you think this break might happen again" I asked. "Probably" he said. "How about adding some supports (gussets) so it won't happen again?" "Okay" he said. And it never had a problem again.

Mechanical solutions are the best. I would rather have a strong frame that is a little stiff than a weak one than can break.

mt1729

Helena, MT. summer, Wellton, AZ winter

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes. If I had any doubts at all about the integrity of the frame. Better safe with a little overkill then sorry without.

Moose

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 12:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way I read the response is...yes it will void the frame warranty if in any way they can blame your reinforcing.

Problem is when you just slap on new reinforcing, it may redirect forces to areas that were not designed to take those forces.

If you find a bad weld, by all means...document and then fix it. But randomly welding extra stuff on is just as likely to cause problems as solve them.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To be honest, I don't think there's a huge amount of engineering that goes into these frames. Otherwise there wouldn't be the failures there are. Maybe they're designed to flex, maybe they are just designed...period. I would gusset the heck out of it where it flexes.

As far as "If lippert built the frame, it's bound to crack.", that's just nonsense and spouting off. There are tons of Lippert frames on the road with no issues...mine included.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Would you pay a welder to reinforce your 5th?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS