|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Fire stick

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bob Vaughn

Seffner, Fl.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a fire stick for our camper and was wondering if I should set it up in our house then plug it into the tv in our camper when we go camping OR just wait to set it up when we are sitting in the campsite with my hot spot?

Chris Bryant

Arden, North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d set it up at home with the hot spot, that way you have time to iron out any problems.

-- Chris Bryant
My RV Service Blog
The RV.net Blog

IAMICHABOD

Sunny So Cal 90713

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/19 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely do as Chris said,my first one I did while camping. I spent a lot of time getting all the apps loaded and linking my other accounts to it,kind of addictive and having fun with it.6 hours later it was finished I kinda lost track of time.[emoticon]

I lost that time from camping and enjoying the outdoors.

Now it is done and I can sit back and enjoy when I want....

2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental

Buying A Rental Class C

Chevrolet Based Class C

DilanYah

London

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 03:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally have been using Amazon Firestick and it has been the best device I have ever used so far. If to know how to use it properly, one can obtain total freedom to watch whatever and whenever you want. I have recently stumbled upon one nice recource with the info one needs for effective use of FireStick - https://www.firesticktricks.com/jailbreak-fire-stick.html . Nice informative portal with actual and constantly updating information.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DilanYah wrote:

I personally have been using Amazon Firestick and it has been the best device I have ever used so far. If to know how to use it properly, one can obtain total freedom to watch whatever and whenever you want. I have recently stumbled upon one nice recource with the info one needs for effective use of FireStick - https://www.firesticktricks.com/jailbreak-fire-stick.html . Nice informative portal with actual and constantly updating information.
Interesting article - I'm researching the ROKU - what is the difference between these two? Can you get channels like History on the firestick?

Also, the article states:

article wrote:

Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users' online activities. If found streaming copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick, you could get into serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend you to get a good FireStick VPN and hide your identity so that your movie viewing experience doesn’t take a bad turn.

Did you follow the instructions to install the VPN - if so, what does that cost after the free period?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

article wrote:

Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users' online activities. If found streaming copyrighted content on your Fire TV Stick, you could get into serious trouble. Currently, your IP is visible to everyone. I strongly recommend you to get a good FireStick VPN and hide your identity so that your movie viewing experience doesn’t take a bad turn.

Device makers also monitor the user's activities. I run a PiHole on my home network. I was absolutely shocked at the amount of 'phone home' traffic going from my Roku back to whatever their mothership is. It is constantly trying to pass data out of my network, even when it is not being used.

I actually stopped using the Roku and similar devices (like a 'Smart' TV) as a result of this tracking. I have dedicated Mac Mini's for streaming that feed my TV's. That way I can control what data is coming out of the device, install my own ad blockers, etc.

Remember, if the product is free (or in this case really cheap), then you are the product. Amazon has low-end Fire Sticks & Rokus for $25. That is just covering the cost of materials. The big money is tracking your activity and selling your viewing habits.

I was monitoring the SmartTV on my sister's network. Also shocking is the amount of traffic going TO the Internet from this device. Literally gigabytes of data being uploaded. What is actually going on is the TV is taking screen shots of content coming from other devices. Watching a DVD/Blu-ray on HDMI 1? How about watching the ball game on a satellite receiver on HDMI 2? Of course the TV doesn't natively know what the content is. So it sends screen shots to the mothership so they can continue to analyze your viewing habits. I showed this data to my sister and she promptly removed the SmartTV from her network.

To stay on the RV topic... Remember you are paying for the bandwidth these devices are using to spy on you. Probably not a big cost factor when you are at home on a cable modem / DSL with gobs of bandwidth. However, if you are in the RV and working off a cellular hot spot which is not unlimited, then this could be dollars out of your pocket just for that connectivity. Want to stream something with the SmartTV via a hot spot? Sure, go ahead. Just remove the SmartTV from the hot spot network when you are done to keep it from monitoring the movie you just popped in the DVD player.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

paddywanpeep

The USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 04:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Device makers also monitor the user's activities. I run a PiHole on my home network. I was absolutely shocked at the amount of 'phone home' traffic going from my Roku back to whatever their mothership is. It is constantly trying to pass data out of my network, even when it is not being used.

I actually stopped using the Roku and similar devices (like a 'Smart' TV) as a result of this tracking. I have dedicated Mac Mini's for streaming that feed my TV's. That way I can control what data is coming out of the device, install my own ad blockers, etc.

Remember, if the product is free (or in this case really cheap), then you are the product. Amazon has low-end Fire Sticks & Rokus for $25. That is just covering the cost of materials. The big money is tracking your activity and selling your viewing habits.

I was monitoring the SmartTV on my sister's network. Also shocking is the amount of traffic going TO the Internet from this device. Literally gigabytes of data being uploaded. What is actually going on is the TV is taking screen shots of content coming from other devices. Watching a DVD/Blu-ray on HDMI 1? How about watching the ball game on a satellite receiver on HDMI 2? Of course the TV doesn't natively know what the content is. So it sends screen shots to the mothership so they can continue to analyze your viewing habits. I showed this data to my sister and she promptly removed the SmartTV from her network.

Paranoid much? I doubt its uploading gigabytes of data LOL. And who cares anyway if they know you are watching a Nascar race anyway.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paddywanpeep wrote:

Paranoid much? I doubt its uploading gigabytes of data LOL. And who cares anyway if they know you are watching a Nascar race anyway.

You can doubt it if you want. I work in tech and have enterprise level networking gear on the various networks I manage. Yup, it is complete overkill for home networks. But I did, with my own two eyes, see gigabytes of data being uploaded from the SmartTV. What made it stand out in the logs is the upload bandwidth from the SmartTV exceeded the download bandwidth (the SmartTV was connected to the Internet, but it was not being used to stream content down).

Many people close the curtains on their windows at night. Why? Because when it is dark out, it is really easy to see what is going on inside a lit house. Those people value their privacy and don't think the neighbors or anyone else should see what they are doing in their homes. SmartTVs, and similar devices, are electronic windows in to homes. They can, and do, spy on users behaviors & activities.

You are welcome to forgo your privacy if you choose. That doesn't mean it is acceptable for everyone else. For me, I value my privacy. I suspect if more people knew what was going on with these devices they might feel differently about leaving the lights on and the electronic curtains open.

-Eric

paddywanpeep

The USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry but I work in tech as well and I still call total BS on your smart TV uploading gigabytes of data. What is it uploading? Shows you watch or channels you flip too? If you have cable and a dvr they already know what you watch and record.

If you want to stay behind the times and get rabbit ears go ahead but dont give out bad information to others.

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 10:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paddywanpeep wrote:

Sorry but I work in tech as well and I still call total BS on your smart TV uploading gigabytes of data. What is it uploading? Shows you watch or channels you flip too? If you have cable and a dvr they already know what you watch and record.

If you want to stay behind the times and get rabbit ears go ahead but dont give out bad information to others.

Seriously? You are accusing me of lying and spreading bad information?

Do you want to tell the Washington Post, or should I?
These smart TVs were apparently spying on their owners

"Vizio was literally watching its watchers — capturing “second-by-second information” about what people viewed on its smart TVs. That included data from cable, broadband, set-top boxes, over-the-air broadcasts, DVDs and streaming devices"

Since you are also a tech, here are a few tech links as well.
Tom's Hardware
ZDNet
Wired

I suggest the next time before you accuse someone of "total BS" that you take a moment to fact check yourself.

-Eric

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Fire stick
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS