|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Fire stick

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
paddywanpeep

The USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Seriously? You are accusing me of lying and spreading bad information?
Yes

Once again - they already know what you are watching. Dont make it sound like your smart tv is taking video of you, listening to your conversations and trying to hack your network - again with GIGS of data LOL.

So it tells the company what you watched - Whoopie Doo - Thats how they put the 'recommended for you' on their. But hey feel free to keep wearing your tinfoil hat and hurry down to Area 51 too.

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

* This post was last edited 11/13/19 01:17am by Gulfcoast *   View edit history

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 01:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do have a couple fire sticks in the regular homestead. I've recently added a fire tv recast which enables OTA viewing via those fire sticks and is a first step toward cutting the cord.

But in the meantime, I have roku in my travel trailer which doubles as a man cave. The roku is a newer model that is very fast, which makes a huge difference to me. I HATE waiting. At any rate it brings in the cable channels and tons of other media, which make man caving very pleasant.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Eric&Lisa

Scappoose, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

paddywanpeep wrote:

...Dont make it sound like your smart tv is taking video of you, listening to your conversations and trying to hack your network - again with GIGS of data LOL...

Perhaps you should review what I wrote. I never said the TV was taking video, listening to conversations, or hacking the network. I did see it upload gigabytes of data and was reported in the network activity logs. That activity is supported by main stream news articles, which I have supplied on this thread.

Your rebuttals seem intent on marginalizing me, rather than discussing the subject. You have accused me of lying, spreading "total BS", wearing a tinfoil hat, and having something to do with Area 51. I don't understand why you are not addressing the mainstream news articles about SmartTVs secretly monitoring & selling user's locations, demographics, and viewing habits. Attacking an individual, rather than attacking the argument, is a classic tactic used when someone is on the losing side of a debate.

Finally, to keep this relevant to the RV.Net community, restating what I posted previously... These devices that track users are utilizing bandwidth that the users are paying for. If someone in an RV is on a low-bandwidth link or a bandwidth capped cellular plan, having these devices connected could be consuming that bandwidth unbeknownst to them. They may be disappointed when they go to stream Gunsmoke and discover their SmartTV ran them in to a bandwidth cap when it was busy reporting the Andy Griffith & Bonanza DVDs they watched last night.

-Eric

Eric & Lisa - Oregon
'97 Silverado K2500, New HT383 motor!, Airbags, anti-sway bar
'03 Lance model 1030, generator, solar,

paddywanpeep

The USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Attacking an individual, rather than attacking the argument, is a classic tactic used when someone is on the losing side of a debate.

On the contrary I find then when people are losing the battle they try to write a eloquent statement as you did.

I still laugh to myself. Gigs, per 1 smart tv.. I think your equipment needs to be checked out or maybe an e-learning class for you to be able to better understand the operation of it.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I saw similar upload data in some testing I did in the past. However, it turned out the data was not upload to the internet but the meter was reading data transferred between the TV and the router. Normal data traffic but was not information that was uploaded. It really concerned me at the time as I had a limited data connection. However, I exceeded my threshold "in theory" according to the meter but not even close if you looked at the usage shown by the service provider.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

paddywanpeep

The USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/21/19 05:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is my point that the data was not interpreted correctly when he performed his testing. He stated the uploaded usage exceeded the download usage which does not make sense for a smart tv. So if a person streamed a 1 GB movie it was actually uploading more data then downloading? and this made logical sense to him?

So instead of further evaluation the decision was that the smart TV must be spying. As I stated before if you have cable or a streaming service they already know what you are watching. What other information is it uploading? My Smart tv has no built in camera or microphone.

I think this has been beat up enough already.

justin34

Red Ban

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 04:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am using Amazon Firestick since 2015. When I got a new Fire TV at home, I really had no idea- how to use it. Later, I searched for tutorials and guides to Jailbreak Firestick and found this one is really helpful- ***Link Removed***
The author has written in a well-described manner with step by step screenshots and images.
Once you jailbreak Firestick, you'll have lots of option to watch movies and tv shows.

justin34

Red Ban

View Profile

I am using Amazon Firestick since 2015. When I got a new Fire TV at home, I really had no idea- how to use it. Later, I searched for tutorials and guides to Jailbreak Firestick and found this one is really helpful- ***Link Removed***
The author has written in a well-described manner with step by step screenshots and images.
Once you jailbreak Firestick, you'll have lots of option to watch movies and tv shows.

justin34

Red Ban

View Profile

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Fire stick
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS