|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question on Truck Campers

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Ranger Tim

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/19 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not useable for humans unless you are a contortionist with the circus.

Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As mentioned, if she is the size of a 10yr old and flexible...no problem.

But really what is the issue you are trying to solve...it doesn't seem a huge burden to walk the 4-5 steps from the back door to the cab.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After having used a Class B and Class C in the past, I felt the same way.

It seems dangerous to not be able to get from the camper area to the cab to drive away in an emergency.

Essentially, you just have to get over this. Devise other plans. I can go out the roof of mine fairly easily, also I carry a weapon just in case.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 06:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would show the wife some B vans. My opinion they are smaller than a nice truck camper, and some of them are 80 grand. With a TC you can take it off the truck and use the truck for seeing the sites.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I didn't mention in my post is, I keep my Dometic CR compressor fridge on the backseat of the truck (4 door) and when in the camper, I can reach through the pass through window and get say a frozen ice dream sandwich if I want one. The fridge in the camper is fine for keeping stuff cold but not for hard freezing ice cream or keeping frozen stuff frozen.

That will change this year as I've purchased another compressor freezer fridge from West Marine that will go where my present ammonia fridge is. I'll pull it out and sell it. Works fine, just not as good as a compressor fridge can.

My wife can have the Dometic to use in her van when she goes shopping on a hot day, to keep frozen stuff frozen on the way home. We live 20 miles from the nearest grocery and in the summer, that can take it's toll on frozen groceries.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

sbryan@vtbryans.com

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our dogs go back and forth through the window and in a pinch I probably could but it would be a struggle - the power sliding window on the truck doesn't provide a lot of room to slip through.

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

guidry

Texas Cajun

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where the heck do y’all camp where you’re afraid!? Rain might be the only reason for a pass through but an umbrella or raincoat would solve that. There’s a whole lot of other reasons to look at TC or class C thank being scared.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/28/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've done a whole lot of solo tent camping from the 60s to present time and also done alot of POPUP trailer camping off-grid camping since 2008. Have never had an emergency where I felt I had to climb in my truck and leave in a hurry...

I will say the woods are definitely filling up with folks that look like they may living there. Last year I had a homeless looking guy come up to me and ask for a food handout... Have had them approach me in a WALMART parking lot too...

I am usually armed but have never had to confront anyone... I also have a UDAP bear pepper spray canister hanging by the camper door... This shoots out spray for a good thirty feet or so... This is the same spray the rangers carry on them when in the woods... Wasp spray cans work too...

My wife is definitely more skittish of the dark then I am. I can get in a sleeping bag and roll up against a log anywhere and have a full nights peaceful sleep haha... Used to do the hiking trail camping a lot and sleep under one of these along the trails... I guess I am too ugly to worry about anything happening to me hehe... In my younger days I might spit a chaw in your eyes...

[image]
Google image...

I was raised in the country and sleeping out by yourself all night is just another thing that happens I guess... Never know what is going to be sleeping next to you... Had a possum one time under my trail tent cover with me and we both woke up the same time. He was just as startled as I was haha...

I guess if you are really really scared of things that may or may not happen when camping I would probably want to do something else... Camping out under the stars may not be for you...

I am into PLAN B things and usually have a way out of most any mechanical or electrical experience that may come up... Just like MacGyver and his infamous pocket knife haha...

I was camping on one trip in the Smoky Mtns Natl Park at ELKMONT Camp and on the back roll was one little tent and maybe six or seven cars there all with different license plates. I have to admit I did report this to the rangers office and he said yup we are watching them too haha... They were all gone the next morning...

I guess it is wise to always be aware of your surroundings when alone in the woods somewhere hehe...

Roy Ken
[image]

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said not much of a option. I have a window big enough and 25 years ago I had a truck camper with a window big enough and my wife did indeed slip back and forth a few times. But she is small and was young at the time[emoticon] Not a real option. JMHO I never fit or even tried!

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

HadEnough

Traveling. Always.

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

guidry wrote:

Where the heck do y’all camp where you’re afraid!? Rain might be the only reason for a pass through but an umbrella or raincoat would solve that. There’s a whole lot of other reasons to look at TC or class C thank being scared.

Not afraid. Just prepared in case of an unforeseen dangerous situation.

I routinely travel in major cities and stay overnight in them. I will also stay out in the middle of nowhere. Staying in very big and crime-ridden cities has actually never been a problem. The only problem I ever had was in Ottawa Canada. A guy tried to break into the back door of the truck camper. But he didn't try very hard. He was just checking to see if it was unlocked or not.

A bigger scare was actually from Homeland Security. They surrounded my truck camper took me outside and questioned me for like an hour. It was pretty nerve-wracking. But all the prepared stuff didn't help of course, since it was the authorities.

I was outside New York City. Apparently some people had been telling them they would be an attack on the city using an RV or something. I was in a park working when they surrounded me and took me out to question me.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Question on Truck Campers
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS