RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Generator while traveling for travel trailer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Generator while traveling for travel trailer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kfp673 wrote:

Lantley wrote:

In general I think your plan is doable but not necessary.
It just doesn't take that long for the RV to cool down once I turn on the A/C to justify running it hours before arrival.

OK, I admit it. My real plan was to make it cool so I can convince my wife, kids, and dogs to ride back there the whole trip. I'm not sure how all the silence in the truck might negatively effect me, but these are the sacrifices I am willing to make! [emoticon]

I get it. it's all becoming clearer to me. I feel your pain[emoticon]...LOL

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Most portable generators need to be level when running. Roads are not level, and the carrier may not be level, when hooked to tow vehicle.

Jerry

I've never seen anyone have a problem with the generator running while on the road. When we go salmon dipping in Chitna, we often take a chest freezer in the back of one of the trucks and run it off of a Honda 2000. Other friends have gone to Colorado for elk hunting and used a chest freezer all the way back to Alaska with a Honda 2000 and no problems.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 05:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran 2 Honda EU2000's in the truck bed while running down the road so the AC could start cooling off the rig and never ran into a problem doing it. Im not sure what kind of ac's the others have but when its high 90's and the trailer has been baking in it all day it takes a while for it to cool off - at least for mine it does.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hussbuss wrote:

The only problem you might run into are low oil alerts on the small generators. As the oil sloshes away from the sensors it will shut them down. Motor home units don't have these. I tried with my bumper mounted champion and this what happened.

This is the reason I mentioned earlier about generator sitting reasonably level, and not bouncing on the rear of a TT. Many posters saying they run theirs in truck bed (no problem), need to sit on a carrier, on back of a TT, and go for a short ride. Just 25 miles at hiway speed, add a few bridges, RR crossings, etc, should give an idea of the difference. [emoticon]

Jerry

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/29/19 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

living in north carolina our summers can get very hot. if we tow during the day our TT temp inside can easily get to 90 plus degrees on a long trip and it takes a long time to cool down. what i found that helps somewhat is to turn on ac night before we leave and put ac thermo on about 65 degree. everything in TT heats up, furniture, cabinets etc. not just the air. when we leave home i open the roof vent in bathroom and bedroom and crack open a couple of window in the back. the air will circulate some going down the road which helps.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do it then you might want to run a chain over them and lock them down. (I don't like being the paranoid guy) But, it's possible that if you leave them back there and stop for lunch or something then someone could grab them and go before you even realized they were gone. Same thing at the concert. While you were off watching the show they could disappear.

badsix

north bend or.

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 10:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Trackrig wrote:

MFL wrote:

Most portable generators need to be level when running. Roads are not level, and the carrier may not be level, when hooked to tow vehicle.

Jerry

I've never seen anyone have a problem with the generator running while on the road. When we go salmon dipping in Chitna, we often take a chest freezer in the back of one of the trucks and run it off of a Honda 2000. Other friends have gone to Colorado for elk hunting and used a chest freezer all the way back to Alaska with a Honda 2000 and no problems.

Bill

we did this, my gen a 3500 Champion is mounted on the back of my T/T. I ran a heavy duty extension cord up to my pickup bed were I had a 7cu. freezer. going down the road i would run the gen about a 1/2 hour every other hour it kept everything frozen solid.
Jay D.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Generator while traveling for travel trailer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS