|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> MPG for Various Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are heavy at 55,500 lbs. Generally, we cruise along between 60-65 mph (we always have our tow car attached). In California, the speed limit is 55 mph when towing, so that's what I do.

I would say we are averaging about 6.5-6.8 mpg overall (currently we have 51,000 miles).

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/21/19 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

About the only thing, I'm convinced of here, is that it doesn't cost all that much to tow and figuring maybe just 1/2 - 1 mpg. extra in a four down setup.

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/01/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

35 foot Georgetown triple slides 22.5 tires, 2007 V10 3 valves per cylinder toad Saturn LW 200 all the time with us. 6.5 but went at rest area generator is running with AC. I really don't complain because once I get there my Saturn gets 35 MPG after all you have a home with you right? At 70 enjoy your self spend the money when the kids get it they will LOL.

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 93 30ft p30 with a tbi 454 chugs right along and achieves 8mpg at 70-75mph. Going slower doesnt seem to help much. I wont go anywhere without adding lucas upper cylinder lubricant to the fuel. I honestly get an extra 1/2 mpg since i started doing that. I also removed the cat. I previously couldnt get more than 7.5 mpg.

tropical36

Southwest Florida_USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Octaneforce wrote:

My 93 30ft p30 with a tbi 454 chugs right along and achieves 8mpg at 70-75mph. Going slower doesnt seem to help much. I wont go anywhere without adding lucas upper cylinder lubricant to the fuel. I honestly get an extra 1/2 mpg since i started doing that. I also removed the cat. I previously couldnt get more than 7.5 mpg.

I can't even believe that anyone would drive any behemoth that fast, let alone an older gasser.
Besides every thing else, most of these tires, have a max rating of 75mph and having a steer tire blowout, at that speed, can't be any fun, at all.
Also, if your speed has no effect on MPG, then there's some people at MIT, that would be very interested in talking with you, about how you have managed to violate the laws of Physics.
To each his own, on the Lucus lube.

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive the speed limit be it 55 or 75 it is what is.

2017 Haulmark 45' Super C 600hp, 12 speed I shift transmission, tandem drive axles, 3 stage engine brake, towing 26' trailer with an 08 explorer inside.
Jim

Octaneforce

Long island

View Profile

Posted: 06/02/19 02:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tropical36 wrote:

Octaneforce wrote:

I can't even believe that anyone would drive any behemoth that fast, let alone an older gasser.
Besides every thing else, most of these tires, have a max rating of 75mph and having a steer tire blowout, at that speed, can't be any fun, at all.
Also, if your speed has no effect on MPG, then there's some people at MIT, that would be very interested in talking with you, about how you have managed to violate the laws of Physics.
To each his own, on the Lucus lube.

Haha maybe i should have went to college after all. Its definitely a measureable amount better if i go slower (not buy much at all), its just not worth it to me if i can legally go with the flow of traffic. Hey a passenger car doing 80 can blow out a front tire too. Everything is a risk to some degree. I keep my rig very well maintained and look it over before every trip and at every stop. I understand what your saying though. I go slow when its necessary.

The lucas works! Lol it sounds like a hoax but it helps. I also like that it adds some lubricity to the fuel. I need this old chevy big block to last a while!

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/02/19 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get between 5 and 6 (OK, 5.5) no matter how fast I drive. Now, I have to admit that I have never driven 55 for any length of time so mostly 62 to 72. I would rather poke my eyes out than poke along at 55! Even if it were the difference between 5 at 70 and 7 at 55 MPG I would not never choose 55. Let's do the math. An extra 2 MPG over the average 10,000 miles driven by RVer per year. That means you get to drive an additional 2 miles for every gallon of gas used. 10,000 miles divided by 7 equals 1428.6 gallons of gas. 10,000 miles divided by 5 equals 2000 gallons of gas. That's a 571 gallon savings over the course of a year. Maybe $2000/year savings but it took you an extra 666 hours to get there. It's about balance. $2000 is a lot of money but time has value as well. I like to "be there" more than I like "getting there".\
YMMV!

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 04:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^^^^^^Agree 100% west of the Mississippi I'm usually at 75mph going with the flow of traffic. Mileage is not really a concern .

js218

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 06/03/19 04:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have put 149,850 miles on my rig since 10/16 heading to Delaware to purchase 10 tire for the rig, 4 tires for the trailer and 4 tires for the explorer. So at 7 mpg I have purchased 21,407 gallons of fuel. Yep it's an expensive lifestyle but I enjoy it being able to go when and where I want.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> MPG for Various Class A Motorhomes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS