|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Just found water damage

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got back from a 1,000 mile trip to east TN, and went through some rain, and noticed a bulge behind my chair.
The whole area from 4" below the window to the floor was damp feeling, so I checked all the window caulk, and can not tell where the water is coming from.

I knew it had to come out, so here is where I am now.
It is strange that the area just below the window is dry, but from the horizontal aluminum bar down is soaked.
There is a seam where I started with a trim piece covering the joint, and will probably demo from wall to wall.

[image]
[image]
[image]

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 04/29/19 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear about that. Windows are a huge source of leaks especially the "frameless" ones which you do not have. Water has probably gotten in around the frame or the weep holes may have become blocked. The problem with frameless is the seal can get pinched when installing and you'd never know. The water will travel around the window frame and into the sidewalls. Meanwhile you don't even know it.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

garyemunson

Reno, Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 04:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Every year it's important to tighten all the screws around the perimeter of the inside window frame. They loosen up because the flexing and twisting of the frame keeps compressing the butyl tape between the frame and the sidewall. After about 10 years you really need to pull the windows and replace the tape with new. Trying to use any kind of sealer around the window frame to wall is an exercise in futility as the first few flexes going town the road will likely break it free. Butyl tape has been the only thing that has proven to last but still needs annual attention and replacement every 10 years.
https://www.amazon.com/XFasten-8-Inch-30-Foot-Sealing-Patching/dp/B07663NFZZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=14ES67WMT2JQT&keywords=butyl+tape&qid=1556621494&s=gateway&sprefix=butyl%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the info, and link.

stew47

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At least you found quickly. Last year I came back from Hilton head and noticed by bedroom slide floor was sagging and roller was cutting the fiberglass. I pulled the floor bottom out and was soaked with water. Resealed window and made new floor out of frp. 50 bucks and a couple days work but no rotten wood and everything is fine. Good luck to you.

GTO66

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would check the fittings under the window.

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GTO66 wrote:

I would check the fittings under the window.

Thats exactly what I thought it might be, but I hooked up the hose and no leaks.
I checked on it this morning before I left, and the wood was almost dry, so it has to be the window.
Now I have to find some of the funky wall paper that Jayco uses.

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wallpaper......or get creative and do some bead board with chair rail trim.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Just found water damage
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS