RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Need a bit of 'educating'...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need a bit of 'educating'...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
goufgators

Crawfordville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Need advice on when/where to use 'tow/haul'. Use only when ascending/descending hilly areas? Keep it off when on flat roadways? Exactly what does it do i.e. does it restrict the transmission from it's highest gear? Keep it on all the time when towing? Thanks!

2017 Winnebago Sunstar (gas)
2005 Honda CRV Toad
Invisi-brake

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 04:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow haul changes the transmission shift patterns slightly to help when the coach is heavily loaded or when ever you want to use it towing or not. It does not restrict a gear such as OD on/off. When in Tow/Haul and accelerating moderately hard, such as a freeway on ramp, the transmission will hold a gear a bit longer before upshifting to get every bit of power available to get you up to speed as quickly as possible. Floor the accelerator and you'll probably get the same effect. The cost is a bit more engine noise with the higher RPM, more fuel consumed and maybe a slightly higher shock when the shift does occur.

Slowing down is when you'll really feel the change. The transmission will get a bit aggressive dropping into ever lower gears as you slow down naturally or when using the brake. The torque converter will also stay in lock up much longer also. The goal is to help slow the coach down with less use of the brakes. Somewhat like using the shifter to force the transmission into a lower gear sooner.

When to use is up to you. Always? Never? Only when towing? Only on hills? There really isn't a right or a wrong answer. There are a couple of short paragraphs in the owner's manual that describes the feature also.

2006 Hurricane 31D built on a 2006 Ford F53

cavie

Port Charlotte Fl/ Hindsdale MA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 04:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When towing our Motorcycle trailer I always just leave it in Tow mode. Wife reminds me to do that. 1500 miles up 1500 miles back.

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.

G-Dad

Panama City Beach, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 05:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A motor home is always “hauling”. Nothing wrong with using it all of the time.

scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use it all the time as it really saves the brakes. You can go without when driving at slower speeds if you're confident in your brakes. It doesn't prevent using higher gears. The 5 Star Tune is great for the older 4 and 5 speed transmissions. Reviews when installed on 6 speed transmissions don't seem to be as conclusive, but worth looking at. But, when cruising at highway speeds, the tow haul mode is a definite safety factor and I suggest using it.

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is off Fords site.

The tow/haul mode reduces shift cycles. Depending on the truck, it may also boost torque and engage an engine braking mode to help drivers maintain control while driving up and down hills. In general, the tow/haul mode changes shift points to higher RPM limits. This helps you keep moving as you haul your trailer.

If on flat ground you should get better mileage with it off.

wrktfsh

Here n there

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While not specific to your MH I find tow mode most beneficial in my truck towing the TT when going down grades. I will use it not towing going down grades too, saves the brakes. I don’t notice any real benefit going uphill.

georgelesley

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/30/19 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

G-Dad wrote:

A motor home is always “hauling”. Nothing wrong with using it all of the time.

I called the Ford RV hotline and asked their opinion. They agreed. Since most motorhomes are within 10% of max vehicle weight when loaded and also when towing, they recommend using it all the time. They also recommended schedule 2 (severe service) maintenance schedule.

George & Lesley
2014 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2019 Jeep Cherokee Lattitude Plus toad, Demco/SMI towing system

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tow/haul causes the trans to stay in lower gears longer under a load so as to keep the RPMs up where the engine develops more power. Perfectly OK to leave it on and let the computers determine when to shift better than you might though MPG might go down a tiny amount. Also OK to turn off and on if you wish. If you leave it on all the time the trans might never shift into the highest gear but that's OK too if the engine is laboring.

Jayco-noslide

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 04/30/19 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I only use tow haul when going down mountain passes.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Need a bit of 'educating'...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS