|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How much time is reasonable for work to be done

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/01/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

RobWNY wrote:

If there was a mobile tech within a reasonable distance of where I live (Western NY) I would call one but I've never seen or heard of them in my area.

Any campgrounds nearby? Call or drop in. Usually the mobile techs leave business cards stuck to bulletin boards, and the folks in the camp office usually can recommend a good one.

That's a good idea. There are a few campgrounds within a reasonable distance that I could drop in and check with. I'm a pretty handy DIYer but I would never attempt a Fiberglass/Gel Coat repair job. I know my limitations.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 12:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Warranty work is filler work for when they don't have paid work.

Warranty work is typically little or no margin and they have to get approvals thru thru the manufacturer. On the other hand, if someone shows up gives them a credit card and says fix it, they can price it to make a profit.

Plus your warranty work likely isn't going to another dealer (or mobile tech). On the other hand, the guy paying cash, can go elsewhere if they can't fix it in a reasonable time period.

Basically, warranty work for minor issues is overrated.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

Gulfcoast

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 02:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's 200 RV's parked where I store my TT, but they make their money on repairs. The repair line is usually about 25 trailers. They sit around a month before going inside to get worked on. Pretty slow to me...

I do my own repairs and can fix anything on the trailer. If a 20-year old guy can do it.... I can too.

YouTube has a video on any RV repair you can imagine, and then some.

leggy

Montrose Pa

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 03:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What dealership?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 05:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gulfcoast wrote:

There's 200 RV's parked where I store my TT, but they make their money on repairs. The repair line is usually about 25 trailers. They sit around a month before going inside to get worked on. Pretty slow to me...

I do my own repairs and can fix anything on the trailer. If a 20-year old guy can do it.... I can too.

YouTube has a video on any RV repair you can imagine, and then some.
I do the same but not everyone has the skills or the desire to work on a RV, especially if it's under warranty.

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/19 05:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I will add that I bought the RV in April 2018, advised them of the problem in June of 2018 (Front nose fiberglass repair issue). Brought the RV in for them to do an estimate of repair and to get authorization from manufacturer. I was advised of the Authorization through the manufacturer in November of 2018 (Was told manufacturer denied authorization three times and finally approved after 4th attempt by dealer). I told the dealer at that time it was put away for the winter and I would recontact them in the Spring for the work to be done. They agreed to this. Called them April 1st to make an appointment. They would not give me a specific date to bring it in. Advised them I would bring it to them on April 10th. Brought the RV in for repair on April 10th 2019 like I said I would. Called April 26th for an update and was told they would check with the guy that would be in charge of things and call me back and received no call. Emailed them for an update on April 29th and received no reply. Called yesterday, April 30th and was told the person I needed to speak to was on "the other line" and the person on the phone took my phone number and said I would be called back. I have not received a call from them still!

lol .. Sounds like that's out of the General RV dealership operations manual.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Through the years I've owned 5 Class A motorhomes. I do most of the maintenance and repairs. Next time, I will purchase one that is recognized to be of fairly high quality and is built by trustworthy people, AND the factory is NOT FAR from where I live most of the time, as in Foretravel or Tiffin

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud Dancer wrote:

Through the years I've owned 5 Class A motorhomes. I do most of the maintenance and repairs. Next time, I will purchase one that is recognized to be of fairly high quality and is built by trustworthy people, AND the factory is NOT FAR from where I live most of the time, as in Foretravel or Tiffin
I always thought Newell was a good motorhome as well?

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobWNY wrote:

I will add that I bought the RV in April 2018, advised them of the problem in June of 2018 (Front nose fiberglass repair issue). Brought the RV in for them to do an estimate of repair and to get authorization from manufacturer. I was advised of the Authorization through the manufacturer in November of 2018 (Was told manufacturer denied authorization three times and finally approved after 4th attempt by dealer). I told the dealer at that time it was put away for the winter and I would recontact them in the Spring for the work to be done. They agreed to this. Called them April 1st to make an appointment. They would not give me a specific date to bring it in. Advised them I would bring it to them on April 10th. Brought the RV in for repair on April 10th 2019 like I said I would. Called April 26th for an update and was told they would check with the guy that would be in charge of things and call me back and received no call. Emailed them for an update on April 29th and received no reply. Called yesterday, April 30th and was told the person I needed to speak to was on "the other line" and the person on the phone took my phone number and said I would be called back. I have not received a call from them still!
Why did you not get it out of storage and get it repaired instead of waiting until the busiest time of year? If they have to order parts from the factory it can be a lengthy process especially if they get the wrong parts. I've heard of others having their RV in the shop for several weeks if not months on this forum.

Would taking back to the manufacturer be an option?

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/19 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

colliehauler wrote:

Why did you not get it out of storage and get it repaired instead of waiting until the busiest time of year? If they have to order parts from the factory it can be a lengthy process especially if they get the wrong parts. I've heard of others having their RV in the shop for several weeks if not months on this forum.

Because that wasn't an option to take it there in November when they called. What parts are needed to be ordered from the factory to do a Fiberglass repair?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> How much time is reasonable for work to be done
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.