RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Where to buy LP gas?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Where to buy LP gas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 05/01/19 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Around here, many hardware stores sell propane, as does Agway and Tractor Supply, and most of them will fill RV tanks as well as barbecue cylinders. Note that by "hardware store" I don't mean Home Depot or Lowes (in this case).

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can be a problem. We start looking way before empty and go ahead and fill if it's less than half, if a place is convenient. Also, ask the campground host or manager. They always know. Or, if you have a smart phone it may tell you. A full tank will last us 4-5 weeks of continuous so not a big issue.

Jayco-noslide

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found the most convenient place to get propane is Flying J,because I stop there for gas anyway and there prices are OK. The most expensive places are GC's but also convenient. Uhaul for local fill ups. I found TS stores to have the cheapest propane but not all stores will fill a Class A tank. These are harder to find while traveling but there web site tells which ones sell propane and a phone call to that store to make sure they fill Class A's(least convenient).

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 pages on propane stores.....lol.
Yes, can be a little issue to find sometimes, but not becasue there's nowhere to get propane, but if a place is out of it, or if you have old tanks like I do, and some places actually check if they have < 10 year certification or mfg date.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

3 pages on propane stores.....lol.
And OP is nowhere to be found.

tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 04:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I need to be careful about going to Iowa. In most of the rest of the middle of the country I've found retail LPG dealers quite willing to fill, although wholesale locations may not always have a technician on site. Most of my fills have been at RV parks; for KOA, I think the service may be a franchise requirement. Locally, I have a LPG retailer at a gas station between my house and the campground at the lake.

On the road generally, Flying J travel stops often have a RV lane with dump station and LPG fill.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years it has become more difficult to find places that refill propane tanks. The cost of equipment and regulations make exchanges more attractive. In addition places doing refills need a trained individual who is available to leave the store or gas station for a relatively low profit service.

Nearby exchanges make it even more difficult. Exchanges appear to have good prices partly because exchange tanks are filled to 15# rather than 20#. In my area there is another big issue with exchanges but the casual customer rarely notices. Tanks are typically out of date often by many years and they are not marked as recertified. No one will fill them later on. A also had a couple of cases where the tanks leaked.

2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Exchanges appear to have good prices partly because exchange tanks are filled to 15# rather than 20#. ....Tanks are typically out of date often by many years and they are not marked as recertified. No one will fill them later on.
The exchanges I see appear to have outrageous prices. $20 as opposed to a $12 fill.

Most places I go to will fill them, I've only found one in So cal who wouldn't. Yes, I was taken by surprise to find almost all the tanks are old... over 10 years old. I'm sure that's intentional.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always just get mine at campgrounds. It's often not the cheapest place but I use such a small amount that I'm more interested in convenience than cost.

CincyGus

Cincinnati

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 01:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Large RV dealers with a large service department sometimes have Propane refill available. My local one does and does a brisk business on the weekends refilling tanks. I even take my 20 lb ones up to refill as I don't like trading in my tanks anymore until they get some age on them.

Actually used to trade all the time and got stuck with one that was over 10yo that the place that gave it to me (local) wouldn't take it back the next year when I finally emptied it (It turned over the course of about 5 months). I was top ten ever ticked off!

2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Where to buy LP gas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS