RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Moving up to a Ram 2500.. but have some weight questions..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Moving up to a Ram 2500.. but have some weight questions..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 04:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

audiodane wrote:

I keep reading how much more comfortable the coil springs are in the 2500 though, as compared to the 3500. This will be a daily driver for someone (DW or myself).

Like I said - I had a Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with the coil springs, then went to the 3500 with the leaf springs. My wife says the the 3500 is actually a better ride - and it is my daily driver. The people who write that stuff have never actually experienced the ride in both trucks back to back like I have and are only assuming that coil springs must have a better ride. Not towing, there is no difference to me - towing 12k - lots of difference - more stable and firm feeling towing experience.

And while I agree about lowering the tire pressure - I don't.

Take those comments with a grain of salt - better yet, take both out for a test ride.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

audiodane

alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

There's no downsides to a 1 ton save for availability on the used market.
You don't need a CDL, anywhere.
The rear suspension isn't harsh if you lower tire pressure when empty. Softer than a 2500 with 70-80 psi in back to keep the tpms light off.
And for crying out loud, this turned into every thread on here. Your upgrading to a trailer that can still be pulled by a stout 1/2 ton and getting talked into a 1 ton.
Sound like I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth? That's because I'd buy a 1 ton for my particular reasons, given the choice, but there's literally no difference in capability or drive ability between the 2.

Nah, grit dog, I appreciate your comments. I have learned a lot through this thread. I can learn a lot from other people's conversations, but sometimes asking your own helps too. [emoticon]

Now your "pulling at 12K gross with a 1/2 ton" does give me pause, but at this point I have no problem with a 2500 *or* a 3500.

What's changed since my OP is that (a) I understand axle ratings and payloads a LOT better; (b) I'm much more confident with a 2500 as a choice for a 12K rig; and (c) I'm no longer ruling out a 3500 if a good deal comes along but convinced that I don't "need" it. [emoticon]

2012Coleman wrote:

audiodane wrote:

I keep reading how much more comfortable the coil springs are in the 2500 though, as compared to the 3500. This will be a daily driver for someone (DW or myself).

Like I said - I had a Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi with the coil springs, then went to the 3500 with the leaf springs. My wife says the the 3500 is actually a better ride - and it is my daily driver. The people who write that stuff have never actually experienced the ride in both trucks back to back like I have and are only assuming that coil springs must have a better ride. Not towing, there is no difference to me - towing 12k - lots of difference - more stable and firm feeling towing experience.

And while I agree about lowering the tire pressure - I don't.

Take those comments with a grain of salt - better yet, take both out for a test ride.

Yeah, we test drove a 2500 the other day but didn't have enough time to also drive a 3500. I plan to do JUST THAT very soon. [emoticon]

cheers,
..dane

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Now your "pulling at 12K gross with a 1/2 ton" does give me pause, but at this point I have no problem with a 2500 *or* a 3500."

Sorry I went back and read, thought you were talking about a 9-10klb TT, not a 5ver. Yes, thats out of 1/2 ton league IMO.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

audiodane

alabama

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

"Now your "pulling at 12K gross with a 1/2 ton" does give me pause, but at this point I have no problem with a 2500 *or* a 3500."

Sorry I went back and read, thought you were talking about a 9-10klb TT, not a 5ver. Yes, thats out of 1/2 ton league IMO.

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Moving up to a Ram 2500.. but have some weight questions..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS