RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Performance difference between jumper cable and Lithium pack

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Performance difference between jumper cable and Lithium pack

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How is it that my standard automotive jumper cables have very thick wires and the new lithium packs use wires that are comparatively much smaller than the old style cables?

Do they both do the same job of starting a vehicle with a severely depleted battery? Or does the lithium pack only work on a battery that is less depleted but you need cables if it's depleted past a certain point?

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 02:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check the actual wire gauge of your jumper cables. Don't be fooled by thick insulation. Copper "looking" cables aren't necessarily solid copper. Far from it.

In a jumper type situation, its all about the difference in voltage between the jumper battery and the battery being jumped. The new lithium batteries are pretty good at initial surge voltage which helps a lot in a jump situation.

I was totally amazed once when my li-ion portable battery booster actually jump started an older GM V8 diesel with totally dead wet cell batteries. (2-12 volt starting batteries from the factory)

Chum lee

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chum lee wrote:

I was totally amazed once when my li-ion portable battery booster actually jump started an older GM V8 diesel with totally dead wet cell batteries. (2-12 volt starting batteries from the factory)

Chum lee

There are varying degrees of "totally dead".

The small packs depend on the internal battery still being partly functional. They also depend on the stricken vehicle being fairly healthy so it will start right away.

I bet you wouldn't have fared so good if they had gone OPEN.....so that they couldn't help supply any current at all.
OR if it was -30 F and the engine was about 10 years beyond needing a tune up.

'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 05/02/19 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of differences would be the length of cables carrying the power. My jumper cables are 25' long and made of very heavy cable. I do have a couple of booster units and their cables are maybe 2' long if you pull hard. Shorter cables don't need to be near as thick/heavy.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/19 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cable length, that's the long and the short of it. 12 volts isn't a lot of juice. It doesn't take much fall-off due to wire resistance to cause trouble. My jumpers are 20 feet long and double aught wire -- essential for cranking a diesel. My booster box, the leads are at most 12 inches. That makes much smaller wires very feasible. And they are.

Fulltimers

Anywhere, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/19 09:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was able to start my motorhome (8.1L V8) with the battery pack only (no automotive battery). Amazing things they are.

Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog
2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic

Rangerider

No Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/02/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good info above. My Lithium pack says if the battery being jumped is very low to leave the pack connected for a few minutes and it will charge it to a point where it can be jumped.

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/19 05:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

battery jump boxes are a great invention. i have one in my truck, wife has one in her car, i always put one of the 2 in our pontoon boat when we use it. over the years i have actually used it more times jump starting total strangers with dead batteries in parking lots than on our vehicles. most people don't know they exist

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Copper v/s aluminum makes a big difference

ALso Car to Car jumpers are Much. much. much longer (More feet means more resistance so you need a bigger cable)

Also read the instructions... Hook up. Pause, Pause, Pause, Start. During that Pause pause pause the jump pack transfers some charge to the larger battery.

QUALITY car to car you do not even NEED a battery in the "Target" (Dead) car. ut that grade is .. Rare.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That makes sense, I never considered voltage drop. I always figured the cables had to be bigger for the amount of amperage being pulled for the jump.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Performance difference between jumper cable and Lithium pack
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS