|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Salesman trying to talk me out of a Class C

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rick Y

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As you have undoubtedly noticed by now, the question comes down to what is right for you and not what is right for anyone else. I've had, at one time or another, just about every type of RV on the market and I can say that, without a doubt, for me the Class C fits best. It has, for me, adequate storage, drives like a nice pickup (much better than our last Class A ever did.) Of course, my C came with many bells and whistles and those it lacked I added such as Banks power system and auto levelers. Sure, the cost ended up at a point where I could have had a nice Class A but my C is perfect for us. Yeah, the view out of an A is better but if I ever rear end anybody I have a lot more metal between me and them! LOL

So, the decision is on you. I would carefully consider how I want to camp, how long, how many people, do I need everything under the sun or am I a minimalist. Can you store it at your residence and, if so, how much room do you have. If planning to tow a car, how heavy is it and what is the tow rating on the RV. As a general rule, A's can tow most any average driving vehicle whereas some C's have more trouble. If possible talk to those with experience with both types of RVs.

If you do your due diligence it is possible to buy your last RV at the same time you buy your first. Good luck.

Rick & Karen
2003 Bigfoot 27DSL Class C, Banks intake/exhaust, Blue Ox Ft/Rear sway bars & TruCenter steering, Soltek solar panel
2013 Honda Fit Sport named "Lil Toe"
Roadmaster Nighthawk tow bar with Invisibrake
Robore Prudentia Praestat

Rick Y

Vancouver, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ignore this post. I got betrayed by the "this service unavailable at this time" gremlin.

tragusa3

upstate south carolina

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't assume the salesman has an agenda to sell an "A". Maybe you shared information that led him to make the suggestion? That's what happened to us. We went in for a "C" too.

New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

Juzaxadar

NC

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never driven an "A"... for me it was always what can I get for the money. I ended up with a "C" and I don't have a problem with it. It drives nicely, my wife can drive it like a car. It's no big deal and most of all it fits our life. I think this is a personal question.

2000 Minnie 31C V10

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/19 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Determining which is the right MH for you will take some serious thinking and research. Start by asking yourself how will you use the MH. Do you like to travel for weeks at a time seeing the USA? Or just to go to camp grounds for the weekend? Do you want to frequent FHU campsites or more remote NP, NFS, or SP GC's without water or electricity. What size MH do you want? Do you have kids or anyone else that will travel with you? Both Class's have their advantages and disadvantages based on how you camp. If you can answer these questions you will get more help.

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 10:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m an avid reader of Louis L’amour western novels. He often writes that covered wagons heading west looked like Spanish treasure ships to thieves. In the same way, I would feel insecure driving or camping in a huge class A and embarrassed to be showing off such wealth.

Our neighbour had to get his 40 footer with 20 foot toy hauler trailer behind out of town because it was blocking traffic when parked on the street near a busy corner.

All RVs seem too big when driving and too small at the destination. We must each choose our comfortable medium.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The front of a class C (the van portion) is made to MTSB safety requirements, and made to be serviced by a typical mechanic.

A typical class A, especially a front engine chassis is made to the cheapest standards possible as defined by the motor home company, and is not always serviceable without excessive disassembly of their substandard materials. That is why many service centers won't work on them.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

JusBud

Right Here

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we started looking for a camper we test drove a Class C
It was the most unpleasant experience ever
Couldn't wait to get out of it
Felt claustrophobic and the ride was like being on a boat
The view out front isn't even close to a Class A
"embarassed to show off such wealth"?
"service centers won't work on class A's"?
Where do you guys come up with this stuff lol?
Your salesman is doing you a favor

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JusBud wrote:

Where do you guys come up with this stuff lol?

People are sharing their personal experiences. There's no need for being dismissive.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Supercharged

Az.

View Profile

Posted: 05/10/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Damdifino wrote:

So this salesman is trying to put me in a Class A instead of a C. He's got all kinds of reasons. Some of the Class A's he's showing me are less money, so he'll make less commission. But they are so HUGE! He tells me I'll hate the driving experience in a C, and the storage, etc. He's got me doubting myself, but I still think I want something a little easier to get around in. What's your take?
The saleman must have sold the four door pickups. Where bigger is better. Wrong, most won't go into a garage. Plus they cost a lot more, just like most of the A's we don't want. I like slides, for get 40 ft. long and where you have to walk up six ft. to get in one.

So big a world, so little time to see.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Salesman trying to talk me out of a Class C
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS