RV.Net Open Roads Forum: What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/03/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think most of these predictions of the demise of the ICE are largely made by young, tech-savvy urbanites. I don't think they have a clue what their predictions mean for the rest of the country.
Farmers, loggers, and excavators use ICE equipment all day long (and sometimes all night). Even if there were electric combines, tractors, log skiders, etc. exactly where do they think they will recharged in the middle of a wheat field or the forest? Equipment doesn't come back to a farm or business every night where there might be grid power. It stays out where it is needed.
Then there is the economics of everyone getting new electric vehicles. It's very common to see 20 year old vehicles on the road. 30 year old vehicles aren't rare. I even see some 40 year old models regularly enough. There's no way people that drive all these older vehicles are going to go spend the $40,000 or more that it takes to buy a new electric car. My own fleet of 4 vehicles range from 17 to 9 years old. They continue to serve us well. When I buy a vehicle it's typically 5 to 10 years old.
I suspect that the vast majority of towing will still be ICE powered in 15 years. For all the hype on electric cars now they're only about 3% of all vehicles.

Lessmore

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 07:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

IMHO...ICE or a hybrid of some sort

Same issues with an all-electric semi, but a semi has more room for batteries. Even in light of their higher GVWR/GCWR

Maybe if they standardize on a replaceable battery pack, but “they” most likely won’t work together

Just decided...going to rebuild my 1996 K3500, 7.4L Suburban, which is at +169,000 VERY, VERY HARD miles....Maybe it will go another 169,000 very hard miles

Do wish for an electric motor to stuff into my Suburban, as first few careers were in variable speed, electric motor controls.

Or Ben...if you decide to keep your big block Suburban a big block Suburban...how about the GM Performance Catalogue HT502 V8... Rat motor...with 502 cubic inches, 406 hp @ 4200 rpm and 541 lb. ft. or torque @ 3200 rpm.

I recently picked up Chevy Performance catalogue from the local Chevy dealer...$ 5 USD...makes for great reading for a gearhead like me.

Of course cost of crate engines is something else again. [emoticon]

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I won't be here and if I am, I won't be RV'ing anyway.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kevinwa wrote:

I like how electric vehicles are referred to as “zero emission”. It’s like electricity grows on trees to some.

X2

ExxWhy

Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In 10 years, still be using gas or diesel to tow. I really expect to be driving a 2020 truck still in 2030. The next commuting car for the wife will most likely be electric in 10 years.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably won’t be towing and we will be out of our old pusher in about 5 years after 21 years of reliable service. In 10 years we’ll probably still be touring Europe and North Africa in an electric class B of some sort. Or maybe we’ll just be using electric rental cars and staying in Hostels and Pensiones. Either way it’ll be electric because if it’s gas or diesel you won’t be able to drive it into a city in most of Europe. That is probably 3 or 4 decades away in North America.

* This post was edited 05/03/19 08:54pm by Reisender *

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

Follow the money, oil companies, tobacco companies etc have all of the DC people in their pockets so gas, diesel etc will be around long after you are turned off.

Oh good grief. Any other conspiracy theories you’d like to bring up?

1320Fastback

Vista, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short of a small turbine powering a purely electric drivetrain I hopefully will still be pulling with the 6BT 5spd+2 in the same truck I have now.

1992 D250 Cummins, 5spd, 4"' straight piped, sensors deleted, airbags, DAP injectors, 18cm.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will probably keep my current rig for the next 10, but 15.... who knows.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 05/03/19 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

I plan to keep driving my F150 until a viable EV truck or MH becomes available.
Not sure I will see it in my lifetime.

"Viable" ? Unless there is a major breakthrough in battery and/or electric motor technology a vehicle capable of towing 7,000-10,000 lbs for more than 200 miles IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY !

The only other fuel that has a "mostly" built infrastructure is natural gas. I don't see that as making a huge dent in liquid petroleum.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What will be your towing powerplant in 10-15 years ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS