|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> California Registration Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if anyone has had this happen to them but what a bending over. I had to renew my truck registration due at the end of April. My renewal notice says return by mail only. I sent them a check on April 4 from the post office. I have been waiting for my tags and drove my other vehicle around so kind of forgot about it. My wife says, hey Calif hasn't cashed the registration check yet. Of course now its after the due date. I went on their website to check, and of course now it says I need to pay the late fees of $41. I can't prove that it was mailed so I'm hosed. Why it would say by mail only is beyond me. We pay online all the time. So, don't let this happen to you if you get this type of notice. Go waste your day at the nearest office and pay on the spot.

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SweetLou wrote:

My renewal notice says return by mail only. ... Why it would say by mail only is beyond me. We pay online all the time. So, don't let this happen to you if you get this type of notice.
Hmm, this sounds like a scam to me. Any renewal payment should be allowed online by credit card, not a check in the mail. And renewal notices should also be online, in email.

You still have the address?

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

My renewal notice says return by mail only. ... Why it would say by mail only is beyond me. We pay online all the time. So, don't let this happen to you if you get this type of notice.
Hmm, this sounds like a scam to me. Any renewal payment should be allowed online by credit card, not a check in the mail. And renewal notices should also be online, in email.

You still have the address?

I have the original renewal notice. Like I said, its not cashed.

* This post was edited 05/04/19 04:26pm by SweetLou *

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, not cashed means it's not a very good scam! But it sounds really strange.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you look online now does it say "by mail only"? Or will it let you pay online?

If the latter, I suspect it was a misprint on the notice.

If you do ever HAVE to mail in your notice, send it certified. Doesn't cost as much as the late fees.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Yes, not cashed means it's not a very good scam! But it sounds really strange.

It sounds like a good scam to me. Tell the customer to pay by check, don't cash the check and then charge a $41 late fee. [emoticon]

DownTheAvenue

Sunny South

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For less than $1, you could get proof of mailing from the PO, or better yet use Priority Mail and get tracking. That way you can prove when then got it.

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/04/19 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

If you look online now does it say "by mail only"? Or will it let you pay online?

If the latter, I suspect it was a misprint on the notice.

If you do ever HAVE to mail in your notice, send it certified. Doesn't cost as much as the late fees.

This is what it says when you go online now "This vehicle is not eligible for online renewal. Mail the bottom portion of the registration renewal notice with the fees and requested items in the envelope provided prior to the expiration date to avoid late fees. If you no longer have the envelope, please use the address provided on the renewal notice". Good to know that you should get proof of mailing but you should not have to do that. Now that we know, yes by all means. I am going in person on Monday. I wonder it they will take it that way.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course you should get proof of mailing. If they believed everyone who said "my check got lost in the mail", they'd never have anyone pay on time.

It is YOUR responsibility to make sure the payment arrives on time. If you choose to mail without proof of delivery then you are taking your chances.

smithrjd

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/04/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep, CA bend over with no KY. Outa here is a year, and will never look back. Last tag for 3/4 ton Silverado was $560... 5th wheel $320. That is PER year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> California Registration Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.