RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Bed struts

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Bed struts

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/05/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Son of Norway wrote:

I always recommend that people look into replacing bed struts with linear actuators. The project is basically the same but you will never have to lift the bed again. I push a button on my remote and the bed goes up and down by itself. Each of my actuators has a 300 lb. rating so I can raise the bed even when there is stuff piled on it.
How much does that convenience cost? I'm thinking it would have to be a lot more than a couple of simple gas struts.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

hornet28

Muskegon

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/05/19 08:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all. I ordered two 80# that ought to do it





ol Bombero-JC

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/24/2004

View Profile



Posted: 05/08/19 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Son of Norway wrote:

I always recommend that people look into replacing bed struts with linear actuators.

The project is basically the same but you will never have to lift the bed again. I push a button on my remote and the bed goes up and down by itself.

Each of my actuators has a 300 lb. rating so I can raise the bed even when there is stuff piled on it.
How much does that convenience cost? I'm thinking it would have to be a lot more than a couple of simple gas struts.


I always recommend adding basic details to your simple solution!

Such as:

Sourced from?..[emoticon]

OK! - Sounds good - (as "ryder" asks)... but what's the cost?..[emoticon]

~

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

Moderator

Joined: 10/16/2000

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/09/19 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Linear actuators on Amazon.com.
Barney


2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD


laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/09/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those are way cool, Barney!

Not to hijack, but has anyone put a lock, or locks, on their bed platform? If so, what did you use and how did you install them?

Lyle


2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/19 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

laknox wrote:

Those are way cool, Barney!

Not to hijack, but has anyone put a lock, or locks, on their bed platform? If so, what did you use and how did you install them?

Lyle
Not to hijack your hijack. [emoticon] But why would you lock the bed down? "Safe" storage?

laknox

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 01/06/2008

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/09/19 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

laknox wrote:

Those are way cool, Barney!

Not to hijack, but has anyone put a lock, or locks, on their bed platform? If so, what did you use and how did you install them?

Lyle
Not to hijack your hijack. [emoticon] But why would you lock the bed down? "Safe" storage?


Well, "somewhat safer" storage. [emoticon]

Lyle

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 05/09/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, it would probably be harder to get into than any of the outside storage. OTOH if thieves are inside they probably will have a little more time and privacy to ransack.

Give with one hand and take back with the other. [emoticon]

hornet28

Muskegon

Senior Member

Joined: 07/27/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 05/10/19 11:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 80#er's arrived today. Installed them and they work great. I'm glad I upped the poundage

edbehnke

North America (from Michigan)

Senior Member

Joined: 12/13/2006

View Profile





Offline
Posted: 05/11/19 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

can't image why they went bad but I'd just replace them with what is there.


eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
2500HD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Bed struts
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS