|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sailun tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
2oldman

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 05/05/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happycamper1942 wrote:

If you read my profile you will see I have a fifth wheel, and I thought it would be useful to get comments from people who also tow fifth wheels, but thanks anyway for your very astute comments.
After Fj suggesting a search, I did one for you. You're welcome.

RollandB

Albany, Or

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had them on our fifth wheel for about two years, after about 5000 miles they still look new.

I just put new tires on the truck but didn’t consider them mostly due to wanting to know I had many places for handling warranty issues on the road. After many sets on a couple trucks with Toyo, this time I went with Michelin Defender LTX M/S. They are so quiet and going over some of the same roads in town, much smoother than the Toyo I took off. So much so it was very noticible.

2005 Silverado 3500 Crew Cab Long Box, Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, TST507's

2016 Artic Fox 27-5L

justme

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only problem with Sailun tires is they are steel belted. In tire TPMS monitors don't work well because the signal is attenuated more than a non-steel belted tire. This could be a problem for trailers, but not a TV.
Sailun has proven to be a good tire and is rated well-- Also they are ISO certified. Therefore one can not go wrong with them. They do cost less than GoodYear. That is because Goodyear will pay for blow out damage on a trailer and Sailun will not. Goodyear prices in an insurance policy.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

The only problem with Sailun tires is they are steel belted. In tire TPMS monitors don't work well because the signal is attenuated more than a non-steel belted tire. This could be a problem for trailers, but not a TV.
Sailun has proven to be a good tire and is rated well-- Also they are ISO certified. Therefore one can not go wrong with them. They do cost less than GoodYear. That is because Goodyear will pay for blow out damage on a trailer and Sailun will not. Goodyear prices in an insurance policy.

We have tossed this insurance thing around a bunch . To pay twice for a Goodyear G614, which arguably no better tire then the Sailun , just to get damage insurance does not make a lot of sense. I have insurance if a tire blows, why buy more ???.

I know two individuals that run TPMS on their Sailun steel belted tires with no issues. I have a new TST 507 TPMS ready to go on my Sailuns, which now come with the repeater, and expect no issues. To further this the one individual runs Sailuns on both his fifth wheel ,and truck with TPMS and has not had any problems .

To answer the OP's question, as said I know the one that runs the Sailun Terramax on his truck, could not be happier. For what its worth Sailun will be my next truck tire. Currently running Toyo AT2's , so far they have been great, but here again, probably close to twice the cost of the Sailun's .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

Unless you can cite specific instances where Sailun didn't cover blowout damage caused by their tire, you shouldn't write that as fact.

Part of the problem is that there are so few Sailun tire failures, there's not many data points to work with.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

justme wrote:

Unless you can cite specific instances where Sailun didn't cover blowout damage caused by their tire, you shouldn't write that as fact.

Part of the problem is that there are so few Sailun tire failures, there's not many data points to work with.

I recall several people stating here when Sailuns first hit the market, that they specifically asked their tire dealer if Sailun would cover damages from a defective tire and all were told "no". So far, I've not heard of a single instance where there was a failure, where Sailun covered any damages. I do agree that they've proven so d@mn good that there's simply not a lot of data on failures. [emoticon] I know that I'd certainly look at them if I had a truly heavy FW. I'd also look at Providers, which we have 6 of on our 30' GN flatbed.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I start to use Sailun back in 2015 with no problem.

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

happycamper1942 wrote:

Does anyone have any experience with Sailun truck tires? I'm looking at replacing my BFG All terrain tires and the dealer is telling me that Sailun are as good but cheaper.
Please do not dismiss them offhand just because they are Chinese, I'm looking for genuine observations, good or bad.
Thanks

I did the exact same change, burnt out my 20: BFG;s and went to the Sailun Teramax. they are quieter , better grip in the snow and ice and are lasting longer than my BFG's did. I will be sticking with the sailun tires. best part instead of 2600.00 to replace them it was 1150 installed and I got a 80000km road hazard guarantee, BFG says they are rated for 60000but gives you no road hazard.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 09:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dumped BFG tires after I had a near-50% failure rate on them. I was running the old Long Trail TA and had 2 separate after 4 years. Replaced with the Rugged Trail TA and had 1 separate after another 4 years and at least one more that was "on the verge", according to Discount Tire, meaning that it wasn't yet out of round, but the signs were there that it shortly would be. Switched to Cooper Discoverers and, so far, like them.

Lyle

* This post was edited 05/11/19 08:55pm by an administrator/moderator *

happycamper1942

Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/08/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the responses, I think my mind is made up to go with the Sailun.
Thanks again

2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2005 28 foot Gulfstream Innsbruck 5th wheel.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sailun tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS