|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Various Rv types and wind

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
scbwr

North Ridgeville, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just too many factors that affect how a rig handles in wind and semi push. I've owned two trailers, a 28' Sunline with a Hensley hitch (Dodge gas dually)and a 27' Winnebago Minnie with a 4 Point Equalizer (Toyota Tundra) hitch and both were very stable on the road, even in crosswinds. Our Bay Star does get some semi push, but does pretty well in cross winds. I've just added a steering stabilizer to help....haven't driven it on a long trip yet to evaluate its effectiveness. But, if there are high wind warnings, I'll keep it parked!

Trailers: It's about weight distribution in the trailer, quality of hitch and anti-sway system and size, wheelbase, etc. of the tow vehicle.

Fifth wheel: Seems that few folks have trouble unless they have an undersized truck. But...I have no experience with this category.

Class C and Class A: weight, wheelbase, weight distribution, tires, tire pressure, aftermarket gear to improve performance (Summo springs, stabilizer, shocks, track bars, CHF (cheap handling fix), and ??

And, I'm sure I've missed some factors....you could write a book on the topic!

2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 06:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 21' Class C, short wheel base is also terrible in strong winds. We won't drive it in over 20 mph winds period! We had a 17' travel trailer prior with weight distributing hitch. The wind didn't phase this rig towed with a suburban. So yes, short class C's can be white knuckles all day long.
Brian

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Distance between the rear dualies is probably the most important factor.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the best pieces of advice we ever got with our 28' Class C, was to load it up like we were going on a trip; and then get the wheels aligned. The original chassis is aligned with no weight on it. A loaded RV is thousands of pounds heavier, and it affects the suspension/steering.

After the alignment, our Class C endured many high-wind situations with a lowered level of vigilance on our part. I'm not saying it tracked like an arrow; but in 35 mph crosswinds in Wyoming, we didn't feel like we shouldn't be on the road.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best TT I’ve ever pulled was a 31’ Airstream with a Suburban. Tag axle DPs are the best MHs...rock solid at 42,000+ lbs.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

08 HR Navigator 45'
Sold 04 Dynasty after 14 great years.
[url=https://i.

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don’t think there is a pat answer to the question. I have towed our 35’ high profile 5er in high winds without realizing how high the winds were until we stopped and got out for a rest stop and had to lean into the wind to walk. And been behind MHs watching them “walk” back and forth when I barely felt any wind. But some say their 5ers and TTs do sway. And some say their MHs don’t. So the answer is “it all depends”.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

winnietrey wrote:

OK, so 24ft class C, 15 years, 70 K miles all over the western US.
Things that come to mind: What condition are shocks in? Maybe upgrade to some heavy duty ones. Get alignment checked. Check front end for worn parts in steering like ball joints, track rod, steering box, etc. What tire pressure? Higher psi could help.

I would expect a class C to be much more stable while moving than a TT because of where the axles are positioned on a TT relative to the hitch. Each gust of strong wind wants to pivot a TT around the axle location and will strongly affect steering in the TV compared to a FW. A FW will feel fairly stable due to hitch being over the rear axle in a truck but being taller has more sidewall area and is more susceptible to being tipped over.

There is very little scientific study available on comparison of high wind & overturning vs. RV type. Wichita State university did a study for stationary (parked) RVs and found "minimum overturning wind speeds (perpendicular to the vehicle) of 24 m/s (53 mi/hr) for a 5.5 m travel trailer, 29 m/s (65 mi/hr) for a 9 m motor home, 33 m/s (73 mi/hr) for a 13,600 kg semi-trailer, and 45 m/s (101 mi/hr) for a 5 m camper van. ". No mention of a FW and the study did not address sidewall area of different RV types.

Towed on I-90 between Spokane & Seattle once in high gusting winds. Felt like driving on marbles and hard to stay centered in the lane even when slowed right down. A truck driver at a rest stop told us that even semis pull over in winds like that. Someone at a CG told us he has seen numerous FWs blown clear over there!

If it feels unsafe in high winds, slow way down or pull over for a while until the winds die down. Just because some idiots fly by you at insane speeds doesn't mean there's something wrong with your RV or you.

* This post was edited 05/06/19 08:57am by myredracer *

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 09:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was bothered by 25 mph winds in Nevada, I would have to just stay home.
Driving a TC in a lot of wind is like being at sea.
I like driving a truck that weighs more than my TT. That helps a lot.

I had a pop up trailer and a hybrd trailer which were great in the wind. They just were not so good at the campsite.

* This post was edited 05/07/19 08:18am by ppine *

winnietrey

seattle

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 09:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

myredracer wrote:

winnietrey wrote:

OK, so 24ft class C, 15 years, 70 K miles all over the western US.
Things that come to mind: What condition are shocks in? Maybe upgrade to some heavy duty ones. Get alignment checked. Check front end for worn parts in steering like ball joints, track rod, steering box, etc. What tire pressure? Higher psi could help.

I would expect a class C to be much more stable while moving than a TT because of where the axles are positioned on a TT relative to the hitch. Each gust of strong wind wants to pivot a TT around the axle location and will strongly affect steering in the TV compared to a FW. A FW will feel fairly stable due to hitch being over the rear axle in a truck but being taller has more sidewall area and is more susceptible to being tipped over.

There is very little scientific study available on comparison of high wind & overturning vs. RV type. Wichita State university did a study for stationary (parked) RVs and found "minimum overturning wind speeds (perpendicular to the vehicle) of 24 m/s (53 mi/hr) for a 5.5 m travel trailer, 29 m/s (65 mi/hr) for a 9 m motor home, 33 m/s (73 mi/hr) for a 13,600 kg semi-trailer, and 45 m/s (101 mi/hr) for a 5 m camper van. ". No mention of a FW and the study did not address sidewall area of different RV types.

Towed on I-90 between Spokane & Seattle once in high gusting winds. Felt like driving on marbles and hard to stay centered in the lane even when slowed right down. A truck driver at a rest stop told us that even semis pull over in winds like that. Someone at a CG told us he has seen numerous FWs blown clear over there!

If it feels unsafe in high winds, slow way down or pull over for a while until the winds die down. Just because some idiots fly by you at insane speeds doesn't mean there's something wrong with your RV or you.

Shocks, tires, front end and alignment, all good.

I of course slow down, or pull off. My question is more in the vein of if it, is affecting me I would think it has to be affecting others.

Having never towed anything other than a boat, I was just curious, how the wind affected others.

I do tend to notice, most of the rigs, that scream by us, and do not slow down in the wind. Appear to be driven by younger drivers. No surprise there in my opinion

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 30 ft. Class C is bad and so is my son's 30 ft. A. You're going down the road in a big, flat, tall box. I guess our 25 ft. 5er was better but still not like a car.

Jayco-noslide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Various Rv types and wind
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS