RV.Net Open Roads Forum: We don't need no stinkin 4X4 honey !

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > We don't need no stinkin 4X4 honey !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/09/19 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a fan of electronic traction control.
Give me a gear driven limited slip or possibly a locker any day over the electronics.


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/09/19 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Not a fan of electronic traction control.
Give me a gear driven limited slip or possibly a locker any day over the electronics.


They serve 2 completely different purposes.....


03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Sportsmen

Houston, Texas, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/21/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/09/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

Sportsmen wrote:



ShinerBock, wow this truck has traction control and I did not think to turn it off. This truck is very different than the F150 it replaced and I am obviously still learning... Thx !


Yeah these trucks have traction control. All vehicles made after 2012 are required to have some form of stability control program. My 2012 F150 also required me to hold it down for about 10 seconds to completely turn it off. If not, then the computer would start braking and reducing engine power every time the wheel slipped because it is thinking I am loosing control on the highway. Turning it off or putting the truck in off road mode made a huge difference in how far I can go since the computer is not slowing down my forward momentum.


When you tow do you turn off traction control ? This truck also has anti sway. Not sure whether to turn it off when towing ???

* This post was edited 05/09/19 08:07pm by Sportsmen *


2016 Jayco Jay Flight 27BHS 6210 empty, 8200 GVW
2016 F250 CC 6.2L(gas) 3:73 diff (3157lb. payload)

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/09/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Not a fan of electronic traction control.
Give me a gear driven limited slip or possibly a locker any day over the electronics.
They serve 2 completely different purposes.....
Electronic traction control just serves as a gimmick or regulatory requirement.

ShinerBock

SATX

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2015

View Profile



Posted: 05/10/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sportsmen wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

Sportsmen wrote:



ShinerBock, wow this truck has traction control and I did not think to turn it off. This truck is very different than the F150 it replaced and I am obviously still learning... Thx !


Yeah these trucks have traction control. All vehicles made after 2012 are required to have some form of stability control program. My 2012 F150 also required me to hold it down for about 10 seconds to completely turn it off. If not, then the computer would start braking and reducing engine power every time the wheel slipped because it is thinking I am loosing control on the highway. Turning it off or putting the truck in off road mode made a huge difference in how far I can go since the computer is not slowing down my forward momentum.


When you tow do you turn off traction control ? This truck also has anti sway. Not sure whether to turn it off when towing ???


Yes if I am on road and no if I am off.

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

Senior Member

Joined: 01/19/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/10/19 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The price of one or two tows in 20 years is still better than the price and rough ride of a 4X4. Take a 1 ton + 4X4 and I only drive my truck when I have to.


Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker


philh

Belleville MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/11/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/10/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Electronic traction control just serves as a gimmick or regulatory requirement.

Clearly someone that doesn't spend much time on snow and ice covered roads.

It's also a fun killer with a HP vehicle [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 05/10/19 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK and I have seen the effect of electronic traction control and it was lame in mud, snow, gravel and sand. Maybe it helped a little but it was lame. Feels like taking two steps back to go forward three.

Lessmore

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 03/08/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/10/19 10:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Electronic traction control just serves as a gimmick or regulatory requirement.

Clearly someone that doesn't spend much time on snow and ice covered roads.

It's also a fun killer with a HP vehicle [emoticon]


I do...usually 5 1/2 months of snowy, icy, cold winter every year...up here in the western Canadian prairies.

Electronic traction control is a pain. I generally shut it off...if you get a traction limited situation...one of the methods snow experienced drivers use is...momentum...to get through deep snow. Momentum is your friend...but the computer running traction control...often decides that momentum is a sign that the vehicle is out of control and immediately shuts the vehicles power down. When that happens , generally you end stopped in the middle of a snow drift.

I've found through experience that traction control...is anything but...and appears to be set to the lowest common denominator...drivers who can't drive very well..and that doesn't help a lot of us.

Give me a mechanical locker that I can turn off and on myself.

Fordlover

Spring, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 12/27/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 05/10/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sportsmen wrote:

Wife and I upgraded our tow vehicle a few months back from a 150 SuperCrew to a 2016 F250 CC gaser 2 wheel drive. We test drove 2 identical trucks. One a 2wheel drive and the other a 4 wheel drive. My wife found the 4X4 difficult to get into because of a bad back. I told her that we didn't need 4 wheel drive. Haven't had a need for one in 20 years. Fast forward to last Saturday night. We attended a wedding in the country where it had been raining cats and dogs for 2 days. Yep, the parking was in a grassy field on an up hill slope. Yep, you guessed it. We sunk up to the rims on the truck. Me and several others had to be towed back to the road. Guess this truck is a little heavier than the old 150.....


Lesson learned, stay on the pavement !


To be fair, it's been pretty wet around these parts lately.

I've had to use the 4x4 twice recently at an investment property, because the locker couldn't get the job done, just kept digging the rear end deeper.


2016 Skyline Layton Javelin 285BH
2018 F-250 Lariat Crew 6.2 Gas 4x4 FX4 4.30 Gear
2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6 speed daily driver
Retired 2002 Ford Explorer 4.6 V8 4x4
Sold 2007 Crossroads Sunset Trail ST19CK

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > We don't need no stinkin 4X4 honey !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS