RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Something New or Old? Never seen it before..

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Something New or Old? Never seen it before..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
DD716TED

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For what it is worth.. This morning I turned on my Windows 10 Desktop computer and once on line the screen flashed.. Didn't pay much attention but then about 15 seconds later noticed that the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Detection program had been disabled on bottom tray.. within 30 seconds a very official Windows Alert appeared on my screen (I immediately knew it was a scam).. The person talking had a foreign accent, and warned me about this / that and if I shut the computer off, everything would be lost.. AGAIN BS.. I did notice that it would now allow the screen / mouse curser to go anywhere near the Red X to close the page.. It was locked within the confines of their message block.. I just unplugged the computer, restarted it and all is fine.. Just wanted to see if anybody else experienced this today and JUST BEWARE..

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now....run a vigorous "full virus scan."
Maybe with whatever you have installed and certainly with "Malwarebytes."

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

i had something similar happen on our Win7 machine a few months ago. no voice just the flashing screen. i just turned off the PC, waited a bit and fired it up.

and we received a call a few months before that incident. fellow claimed to be from Microsoft and asked me to go to my PC. i played with him a bit telling him we didn't have a computer. what number did you call? that's not our number. what name are you calling? that sounds like the people who we bought the house from. what's the problem with their computer? really? wow. i might have their new number, i'll go look. hang on. i put the phone down. when i came back in a couple of minutes the mook had hung up.

'73,
rich, n9dko
Remember...if you don’t know where you’re going you're bound to end up somewhere else.
'03 Jeep Wrangler TJ
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Didn't pay much attention but then about 15 seconds later noticed that the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Detection program had been disabled on bottom tray.. within 30 seconds a very official Windows Alert appeared on my screen (I immediately knew it was a scam).. The person talking had a foreign accent, and warned me about this / that and if I shut the computer off, everything would be lost..

You turned on your desktop, went online, then all of a sudden anti virus is disabled - and then someone is talking to you? [emoticon]

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Down here in the heart of overpopulation, we get those once a month. More frequent is the call to our landline with basically the same thing. "Give them your online address and they'll fix it for you for $20. Or your Windows license is about to end send mega bucks for a new update and lifetime license.

As suggested, I turn it off and run my VP.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

Quote:

Didn't pay much attention but then about 15 seconds later noticed that the Windows Defender Virus and Threat Detection program had been disabled on bottom tray.. within 30 seconds a very official Windows Alert appeared on my screen (I immediately knew it was a scam).. The person talking had a foreign accent, and warned me about this / that and if I shut the computer off, everything would be lost..

You turned on your desktop, went online, then all of a sudden anti virus is disabled - and then someone is talking to you? [emoticon]

what's so hard to understand about that?

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

Quote:

Well, my guess is that 2012Coleman is like me and never has an active speaker on my PC unless I turn it on explicitly. No one can speak to me on my computer because there is no ability to do so unless I turn the speaker on.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/06/19 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can download a free copy of MalwareBytes and scan your PC with it to find PUPs - possibly unwanted programs.

It's free and it's the best you can do to protect yourself. The paid version runs in the background but you need to run scans manually with the free version.

It's a bargain you shouldn't pass up.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/thankyou/

* This post was edited 05/06/19 08:35pm by DFord *

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

rk911

Wheaton IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AsheGuy wrote:

rk911 wrote:

2012Coleman wrote:

Quote:

Well, my guess is that 2012Coleman is like me and never has an active speaker on my PC unless I turn it on explicitly. No one can speak to me on my computer because there is no ability to do so unless I turn the speaker on.

the speaker(s) on our PC’s are always on. maybe we’re in the minority.

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/06/19 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rk911 wrote:

AsheGuy wrote:

No one can speak to me on my computer because there is no ability to do so unless I turn the speaker on.

the speaker(s) on our PC’s are always on. maybe we’re in the minority.
Maybe you are not in the minority. I usually use my laptop and usually are in the same room as my wife watching TV. So if I want to view something with sound or stream a video I just plug in my head set and don't disturb anyone. My laptop speakers are always off for that reason, and the fact that it's annoying when on Facebook or any website and a video auto-plays with sound when it comes on the screen.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Something New or Old? Never seen it before..
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS