|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New guy needing confirmation on tongue weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ooOoo

MTV

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

16% is good if the truck can handle it...5ers tow so nice because they have high hitch weights. Semi's go upwards of 50% for a reason.

It would be good to clarify, by higher hitch weight, you are referring the weight distributing system not the trucks receiver hitch. For the trucks receiver hitch bigger is better.

A WD hitch will change those numbers but with no indication of the specific truck make sure to check the RAWR and payload with passengers and gear in the truck...if this is a light duty 1/2ton or SUV you might be marginal.

It's a 2002 Excursion with a V10 and 4.30 gears. Its basically an F250 with an SUV body.

ooOoo

MTV

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to all who have replied. My wife is anxious to get out camping this weekend!

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

16% is good if the truck can handle it...5ers tow so nice because they have high hitch weights. Semi's go upwards of 50% for a reason.
Snip...

The main reason Semi's tow so well is because their hitch point is directly above or near the rear axles. This doesn't allow the trailer to have a leverage effect on the tow vehicle.

Another reason that they tow well is because the trailer wheels are placed far to the rear of the trailer (resulting in high hitch weights) - unlike travel trailers which have the axles placed near or slightly behind the center of the trailer to allow reasonable tongue weights for our light duty trucks and SUV's.

This is the reason that the Hensley hitch tows well. It projects the hitch point forward to near the rear axle of the tow vehicle and therefor the trailer does not exert horizontal movement on the truck that can be felt (think sway).
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
2019 Ram Limited 1500, 5.7L Hemi, 4x4, SB
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarneyS wrote:

The main reason Semi's tow so well is because their hitch point is directly above or near the rear axles. This doesn't allow the trailer to have a leverage effect on the tow vehicle.

Another reason that they tow well is because the trailer wheels are placed far to the rear of the trailer (resulting in high hitch weights) - unlike travel trailers which have the axles placed near or slightly behind the center of the trailer to allow reasonable tongue weights for our light duty trucks and SUV's.

Having the hitch over the rear axle helps a little but it's definitely secondary.

Moving the wheels back is increasing the hitch weight...that's how they do it at the design stage.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you haven't bought the hitch yet, you might consider an upgrade to something like the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch. It or the Husky Centerline are better options for not a lot more money.

Still go for 1400 lbs setup though.

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 11:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

It would be good to clarify, by higher hitch weight, you are referring the weight distributing system not the trucks receiver hitch. For the trucks receiver hitch bigger is better.

A WD hitch will change those numbers but with no indication of the specific truck make sure to check the RAWR and payload with passengers and gear in the truck...if this is a light duty 1/2ton or SUV you might be marginal.

Or if it's an Excursion like the OP said above then no need to worry about checking that stuff.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ooOoo wrote:

Thanks to all who have replied. My wife is anxious to get out camping this weekend!

Then get a wdh and set it up where the front is back to empty ride height. In you scenario, you have enough tongue weight to keep the back end planted and put the 500lbs lost on the front axle back on the front.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 05/08/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

Or if it's an Excursion like the OP said above then no need to worry about checking that stuff.

And that's why I said "IF".

ooOoo

MTV

View Profile

Posted: 05/14/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

If you haven't bought the hitch yet, you might consider an upgrade to something like the Equal-i-zer 4 point hitch. It or the Husky Centerline are better options for not a lot more money.

Still go for 1400 lbs setup though.

Thanks for the suggestion, I wish I had seen it before ordering the Curt hitch.

ken56

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/15/19 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My instance was I have a 10k gvwr trailer that has a 1280 tongue weight also and the dealer set me up with a 10k/1k hitch. It was not enough hitch for the tongue weight IMO. It pulled it yes, but the spring bars were not hefty enough. Towed like that for a year and then decided to upgrade to the 14k/1400 Equal-izer brand and it was night and day the difference in stability and ride. No more wiggle and no more bounce going over bridge expansion joints.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> New guy needing confirmation on tongue weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS