RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Legal or safety issues carrying diesel fuel containers in RV

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Legal or safety issues carrying diesel fuel containers in RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
rogerddd

Sacramento, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Class C Diesel motor home and I like to carry along two extra 5 gallons cans of fuel. Extra fuel has been handy to have along some of the back roads we travel and on our trips to reach dry camping locations. I carry the fuel in approved diesel fuel containers and carry them in my motor home basement hatch.

If you do this too, do you know if there are any legal or safety issues I should be aware of?

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would make sure to carry them in a well vented compartment. While not as bad as gas, the diesel fumes could build up and be explosive.

There was a news piece recently on people in the Vancouver area crossing the border to get gas, and putting gas cans in their trunks. One got rear ended and blew up.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5241062/peace-arch-border-fiery-crash-gas-cans-safety/

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DOT says you don't need a placard for diesel if it is non bulk. That is defined as "Non-bulk packaging means a packaging which has:
(1) A maximum capacity of 450 L (119 gallons) or less"

ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have seen fuel (gasoline or diesel) carried in 2-3 different places outside a class "C":

1: With a Jeep Wrangler toad soft-top, the fuel canisters were both places in the toad, and a few were bolted to the back, allowing for 20-30 additional gallons.

2: A rack was placed on the roof, with the cans attached to that.

3: A new bumper was welded on (the factory bumpers will shear off very easily), and the fuel cans mounted on that.

4: A rear hitch mounted cargo rack was used.

Of all of those, if one hasn't done it already, I'd go with the hitch mounted cargo rack.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rogerdddddd, re-read and think about what you just asked after reading this:

You buy diesel and gas at a fuel station, dispense into a fuel can then put it in the back of your car or truck and drive home, or whereever you need to with it. You fill your cans for the RV and drive where ever you need to with it.
You and everyone else in the world, literally, has been doing this since you could drive and needed a can of gas for the lawn-mower. (If your one of the few people who's life experiences hasn't allowed you to do this, because there's always one, realize that everyone else does.)

Short and long answer is no problem.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the basement hatch is separate enough from the cabin to keep the smells out I don't see a problem. If it's connected somehow I'd worry about the stank. There are a ton of options for hanging it on the outside of your motorhome if the smell issue is a problem, off the bumper, spare tire, etc.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

delete double post

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as the basement floor will support 10 gallons of diesel bouncing down the road you should have no problems.
I don't know of anything illegal about hauling extra fuel in approved containers.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/07/19 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

I would make sure to carry them in a well vented compartment. While not as bad as gas, the diesel fumes could build up and be explosive.

There was a news piece recently on people in the Vancouver area crossing the border to get gas, and putting gas cans in their trunks. One got rear ended and blew up.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5241062/peace-arch-border-fiery-crash-gas-cans-safety/

Nonsense.

The fumes over a can of diesel fuel will not reach combustible level, let alone explosive, until your RV basement ambient temperature reaches about 600°F.

Have you ever tried to light a container of diesel with a match? You can put that match out in the diesel.

The only reason for any sort of ventilation in that hold with two 5-gallon cans of diesel is if you haven't got the cans properly closed AND the ambient temperature is at least 300°F AND you don't want the place smelling of diesel later on. Or you are in the habit of slopping diesel fuel all over the place.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 05/07/19 04:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a major difference between "Flamable" and "Inflamable" Fuels
Gasoline is one Diesel the other

The major Danger is a leak messing up wherever you store it.

Gasoine. If you were to pour a gallon in a "Flash Pan" and toss a match into it Well I seriously do not recommend you do that cause it's going to go WHOMP and flame on

Diesel. You might as well toss that match into water

Source: Watched it being done.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Legal or safety issues carrying diesel fuel containers in RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS